Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Celtic, Barbaric & Tribal Imitative Coins Discussion Forum

History behind Celtic Philip II imitation tetradrachm

(1/2) > >>

Nathan P:
I recently picked up the following coin and wondered if anyone knew anything about the history of these coins or could at least lead me in the right direction.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=47002&pos=0

I found that kugelwange means "ball cheek," which I believe describes Philip II's face. But I'm wondering where the word kugelwange comes from? Is it associated with a particular Celtic tribe? And are these kugelwange coins all associated with the Scordiscii tribe? Thanks for any help you can give me!

Joe Sermarini:
Kungle is German meaning ball and Wange is German meaning cheek. Many of the names for Celtic coin types are German.

stevex6:
Very cool addition, Nathan ... I love those Celtic coins (congrats)

:Greek_Stigma: :Greek_omega_small: :2littleEs: :Greek_Tau:

Nathan P:
Thanks Joe and Steve!

This may be a silly question, but why would a celtic coin be described with a German name? Also, any idea on the Scordiscii connection? Are all of these kugelwange coins Scordiscii? Thanks again!

Altamura:

--- Quote from: Nathan P on June 23, 2018, 08:57:06 am ---... why would a celtic coin be described with a German name? ...
--- End quote ---
What did you expect? Icelandic  :)?
I don't exactly know it, but I would think that the first publications on the coinage of the Scordisci have been written in German and then this term survived.

--- Quote from: Nathan P on June 23, 2018, 08:57:06 am ---… Are all of these kugelwange coins Scordiscii? ...
--- End quote ---
As far as I know they are.

Regards

Altamura

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version