Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: metal detecting find please help me identify  (Read 347 times)

Offline Joshua L

• Auxiliary
metal detecting find please help me identify
« on: May 16, 2018, 07:55:17 pm »
Hello sorry to bother you I live in the UK and today I was metal detecting a field and I found this coin and  I am having trouble identifying it I was wondering if you had any ideas thank you.
Sizes are as follows 1 inch diameter
3 mm thick
13.51 grams in weight

[IMAGES UPLOADED BY ADMIN - UPLOAD IMAGES - DO NOT LINK]

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
Re: metal detecting find please help me identify
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 09:08:10 pm »
Not Roman, my guess would be Celtic. But, this is not my area.

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 12:29:27 am »
Dear Joshua and Board,

Wow, you found a bronze of Hipponium as a Roman colony (Vibo Valentia)!

http://www.magnagraecia.nl/coins/

Here is a specimen that looks very much like yours, in the collection of the British Museum:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details.aspx?objectId=1296910&partId=1&searchText=Valentia&page=1

Coins from Magna Graecia turn up occasionally on British soil, especially in SE England.  I once obtained what I believe was a very worn Syracusian bronze of the Arethusa/bull type from a metal detecting friend in Kent.   What is intriguing about your find is its age.  I think most of the British-found Italian bronzes I know of predate the Roman period.    

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 04:27:35 pm »
Have any been found in hoards or an archaeological context? It would be interesting to have an idea when they were imported.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 07:26:50 pm »
Mark that is incredible! I thought it looked Greek, but I thought that would be improbable.

Great find +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity