Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Augustus, Agrippa & the crocodile revisited  (Read 622 times)

Offline the10thlegion

• Consul
Augustus, Agrippa & the crocodile revisited
« on: June 23, 2017, 08:24:23 pm »
The last few weeks I've spent much of my free time looking over various websites of coins for sale and archives, specifically the as/dupondius featuring Augustus, Agrippa, and the crocodile. My goal was to try and get a handle on features used to identify and properly attribute this coin type. At first glance it seemed there really wasn't a method to this madness but things started coming together. Features I though would be important seemed not to matter, such as:

1)   The direction the vertical palm bends at the top.
2)   The placement and shape of the crocodile’s eye.
3)   The length and shape of the crocodile’s legs.
4)   Whether the upper teeth were pointing up or down.
5)   Weight – I don’t know if there is a convention but I’ve concluded that an As weighs 8 grams or less and a Dupondius weighs over 9 g.
6)   Most had 1 wreath on L side of palm a few had 2 wreaths flanking palm.
7)   Different coins w same reference were given different date ranges, have no idea how determined but I suspect crocodile style has something to do with it.
8)   Some descriptions of Agrippa when obviously wearing both rostral crown & laurel wreath only mentioned the crown and other times where I think he was wearing only the crown it mentioned the wreath and every so often I'd see what appeared to be a band (crown) but not rostral (where I read rostral has to do with the beak or prow of a ship. Somewhere I read something about the progression of offices changing head gear and P P so some of what I concluded as wrong could just be sloppy work by someone wanting to hurry and get the attribution done.

Then again – all my work may be so far in left field I’m not even in the ball park. But it was fun. When I finished my research I then cracked the books and the attached a pic of excel showing my results. These are my conclusions and if someone can better help me get a hand on these I'm open to any suggestions.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Augustus, Agrippa & the crocodile revisited
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 09:15:53 pm »
Why do some have X and some have Y?

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 09:27:29 pm »
Hi 10th L,

If you haven't already included it in your survey, here is my example (scroll down, second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_gaul.htm

The crocodile on my example doesn't appear to have any upper teeth at all. I see only bottom teeth.

Meepzorp

Offline the10thlegion

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 09:07:39 am »
Why do some have X and some have Y?

On my pc if I click on the image it enlarges so you can read it better.
Between the 2 tables are some notes.
From what I gather for those types it can be either of the two options in that colored section.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity