Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tetradrachm needs an ID  (Read 538 times)

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
Tetradrachm needs an ID
« on: January 17, 2017, 01:20:13 am »
Hello all.
Well the last one i hit the wall about right now, is it Probus?

Coin info:
Tetradrachm Billon. Alexandria mint?

Weight: 9.40
Seize: 20mm
Adverse: Emperor
Reverse: Eagle standing right, looking left with wreath in beak.? Year missing a letter and A to the right.

Thank you for you time and help Kim.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Tetradrachm needs an ID
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 06:07:03 pm »
It is an Alexandrian tetradrachm.

The reverse has L  :Greek_Delta: for the fourth year of reign.

I think it for Aurelian.  It seem to fit his  :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Upsilon: :Greek_Tau: :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Delta: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Upsilon_2: :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Eta: :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Omicron: CC :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Beta: .

Both him and Probus had year 4 issues with Eagle but the bust fits early Aurelian better than Probus.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
Re: Tetradrachm needs an ID
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 06:23:06 pm »
Thank you very much Shawn, well this will be the only second coin i got by Aurelian. The latter is from Siscia.
Well now i know who to look for, i will look at some pictures and see if a can get a match.  :)

Thank you again Shawn.  +++

Cheers Kim

All coins are guaranteed for eternity