Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266654 times)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Coin website help
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 04:47:31 pm »
Copy and paste and you're done.

Copy from ... what? (Meep apparently had no electronic records, nor even Office software to retain such). Is GoDaddy website builder oriented towards a wholly image-based approach?

But anyway I think with what I now know of Meepzorps wishes, uploading to some form of gallery rather than building a website, sounds best.

Godaddy let's you place picture and text boxes where you like.  You can make a template and then just drag and drop digital images into the boxes.  The only thing you'd have to do is type out any description into the appropriate text box.  Or copy and paste it into the box (but he has no digital info).

But I agree, forum's gallery is the easiest and costs nothing.  Thanks Joe!  Start with a forum gallery.  Forum's gallery let's you create folders and arrange your coins in any sequence you choose not just by date or name.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2015, 06:02:28 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 11, 2015, 02:31:30 pm
I am planning on taking photos of my hand-written tags instead of re-writing everything again online. If I use Forum's gallery, I don't know how that would be "do-able".
 Meepzorp

You could insert your photos of your hand written tags into the description box just as I have done with the added photo on one of my coins here.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-90199

I'm not 100% sure of the arrangement of the coins in Forum's gallery. It appears to me that they are in simple chronological order (by when they were added). I want to be able to customize the order.
Meepzorp

FORVM's software automatically arranges the coins in each gallery alphanumerically so you would have to work within those constraints to arrange your coins in the order you would prefer.

Alex.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2015, 06:33:01 pm »
Alphanumeric may be the default, but you can arrange your images in FORVM's galleries in several other methods.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2015, 06:34:31 pm »
Alphanumeric may be the default, but you can arrange your images in FORVM's galleries in several other methods.

+1

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 02:45:44 am »
An idea that might combine the best of both approaches
- put the coins and the tag images in a set of Forum galleries
- set up a one page website that explains your collecting philosophy and gives links (perhaps each with a foreword) to each of the galleries on Forum

That would be a simple text website (you could add a few pics to tempt visitors) easily written using any of the tools we've discussed. And it gives you a home page that you can keep and develop longer term if you eventually want to host more of your own content. And it can be hosted by Forum too.

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 02:26:30 pm »
This thread has gone on too long for me to add anything of use save opinion but since Andrew mentioned my antique HTML code pages, I do feel entitled to an opinion.  I would not have a web page on coins except for a desire in 1997 to learn simple HTML and coins ended up being what I used as a subject.  I despise programs that write code for you and am always confused when I see the output of these things.  I started by writing the simplest of pages and added a new feature to the code each time I learned a new trick.  I learned the Image map so I could have that big photo on my home page and since that time only used it one more time on my Favorites page.  I learned to do Tables which made many things easier to format.  Modern web pages have a thousand bells and whistles I do not understand or want to.  I do not do Java/Javascript.  I do not have a routine that optimizes my pages for viewing on phones --- and I won't.

I suggest finding a SIMPLE page you like and  bringing up  "View Page Source" ( right click and select it on my computer).  Copy that code and figure out what each part did for the display.  Then change the photos and text to your material and play around with it until you get what you want.  Easy way?  No! However I did it this way and am OK with my results.  You will notice I have not been nominated for any awards for website design.

I use an HTML freeware editor that is no longer supported by its author but I like it.  Most new ones are more complex than I want.  The advantage of this is a few shortcut buttons that places some codes easier than typing in the long form.  I suggest finding one you like.  Mine is HomeSite 1.2 for Windows 95 but it runs on Win 10.  There is a version 5.5 available from freeware distributors but I have no experience.

Complicated for me:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/

Simpler:
www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/feac36owl.html
view-source:https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/feac36owl.html

Even simpler:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/wabisabi.html

Most simple:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/feac23.html
view-source:https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/feac23.html

Feel free to copy, dissect and learn.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2015, 04:15:23 pm »
I really like Doug's support for writing your own code - this doesn't just apply to Meepzorp but for everyone considering online publication. It matches with the views provided by me, Nick and David at the start of this thread. When you write it yourself, it'll be simple and do just what you want. I did mention one website owner who lost the ability to edit his own page. To that I'll add my own story. I said I started with an AltaVista page. I used the 2004 equivalent of the "GoDaddy" make your own webpage software. It was a bit frustrating as I could never get the layout as simple and clean as I wanted - the drag and drop rarely produced exactly what I had in mind. But I lived with it ... until in 2007 I got an email from AltaVista saying they were closing website hosting and telling me to save my html code. I did. And when I looked at the code behind the drag-and-drop website designer, that I had made, it was the most incoherent piece of nonsense imaginable. I could never edit it into anything useful. I got a coin friend help me then create an absolutely bare simple template such as the examples Doug gave, and dropped my text and picture links into it. After that catastrophe, reinforced by the "uneditable webpage" fiasco of a friend that I mentioned, I resolved never to publish anything online except where I understood (and probably wrote) all the code myself. Two examples of fiascos with a "GoDaddy webdesigner" equivalent taught me never to go automatic again. It's all manual from now on.

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2015, 06:39:24 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 11, 2015, 03:08:37 pm
You'll be ok on computing power then. But you will need to download a word processor because that's the only practical way to draft your webpage text. Whether you use html or a web page maker, there's a presumption that you'll copy and paste your text sections from a word processor (or perhaps from spreadsheet fields), as the editing capabilities in html text editors, or in webpage makers where you fill in fields, will be very limited. You also need to save your text somewhere that's not in an ephemeral programming tool, and in a version you can use and edit offline when not connected. That again points to a word processor or spreadsheet. Somewhere you can save and edit your own data offline.

Hi Andrew,

A previous poster wrote that I don't need a word processor. You just stated that I do need one. Who is correct?

To be perfectly honest with you, I wasn't planning on putting much text in my website. Once a viewer is beyond the home page, there will be very little, if any, text.

Meepzorp

Indeed you don't "need" a word processor though it is rather odd not to have one since good word processors can nowadays be downloaded for free.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know that.

My computer is my niece's old computer. When my sister bought this computer back in circa 2007-2008, it was supposed to have a word processor (Microsoft Word). She paid for it, but it didn't have one. At first, she thought it was in the computer. When she realized it wasn't, she thought it was contained on a disk that came with the computer. If such a disk ever existed, she never found it. By the time my sister realized that (a) the computer didn't have a word processor, and (b) there was no disk, it was too late to do anything about it. When she called Dell, they told her that it had "expired". And, despite the fact that she had paid for it, there was nothing that anyone could do at that point.

When she gave the computer to me a few years ago, I also tried to rectify the situation. I called both Dell and Microsoft. I was told the same thing, that it had "expired". So, my sister paid for something that she never got. Now, I am screwed because the computer is mine. I am stuck with a computer with no word processor in it.

Can you provide examples of "good word processors" that can be downloaded for free?

Thank you.

Meepzorp

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2015, 06:44:52 pm »
The tags weren't a total waste of time.  You made a lot of corrections and will have a hard copy with your coins.  But using a Forvm gallery and typing in the info is your best option in my opinion.  I find writing my gallery descriptions fun.  Just take your time and do a few a day as you photograph them and edit the photos.

Hi Nick,

A few a day???!!!

Are you out of your mind?

I have 2,000 coins. At that rate ("a few a day"), it will take me years.

I'm not re-typing everything all over again. That option is not on the table. I'm committed.

Meepzorp

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2015, 07:09:06 pm »
Copy and paste and you're done.

Copy from ... what? (Meep apparently had no electronic records, nor even Office software to retain such). Is GoDaddy website builder oriented towards a wholly image-based approach?

But anyway I think with what I now know of Meepzorps wishes, uploading to some form of gallery rather than building a website, sounds best.

Forum's gallery let's you create folders and arrange your coins in any sequence you choose not just by date or name.

Hi Jay,

Can I create folders within folders within folders in Forum's gallery?

Let me explain myself. Here is what I was intending to do:

My intention was to create a website with a homepage listing different areas:

Greek Italy
Greek Sicily
Greek
Roman Provincial
Roman Republic
Roman Imperial, Augustus
Roman Imperial, Tiberius-Romulus
Byzantine
Medieval Italy
Medieval

These areas would all be "clickable" links.

Let's say someone clicked on "Greek Italy". It would then go to another page listing the different countries/regions:

Apulia
Bruttium, Bretti-Petelia
Bruttium, Rhegium
Calabria
Campania, Cales
Campania, Capua
Campania, Neapolis, silver
Campania, Neapolis, bronze
Campania, Nola
Campania, Suessa Aurunca
Campania, Teanum Sidicinum
Frentani
Lucania
Samnium
Etc., etc.

These would also all be "clickable" links. It may be even further broken down than that. My Campania, Neapolis coins may be broken down into 10-20 different clickable links, because I have so many of them. I have an extensive Campania collection. But I think you get the picture.

Let's say someone clicked on "Campania, Neapolis, silver, part 1". It would then got to another page. That page would list between 5 and 20 or so coins (per page). And there would be several photos of each coin.

That was my intention.

Can I do something like that in Forum's gallery? Is there a limit to the number of folders (or folders within folders within folders) I can have?

Meepzorp

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2015, 07:14:37 pm »
I am planning on taking photos of my hand-written tags instead of re-writing everything again online. If I use Forum's gallery, I don't know how that would be "do-able".
 Meepzorp

You could insert your photos of your hand written tags into the description box just as I have done with the added photo on one of my coins here.

Alex.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know I could do that.

How do you do that?

However, the bottom photos look a little small. Is there a limit to their size?

Also, is there a limit to the number of photos I can add at the bottom? For some coins, I may need to add 4-6 photos at the bottom, in addition to the 2 main photos (which may be stitched into 1 photo).

Meepzorp

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2015, 07:18:10 pm »
I'm not 100% sure of the arrangement of the coins in Forum's gallery. It appears to me that they are in simple chronological order (by when they were added). I want to be able to customize the order.
Meepzorp

FORVM's software automatically arranges the coins in each gallery alphanumerically so you would have to work within those constraints to arrange your coins in the order you would prefer.

Alex.

Hi Alex,

What exactly does that mean?

I'm receiving conflicting information here (from you and Jay).

Who is correct?

Meepzorp

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2015, 07:19:10 pm »

Hi cmc,

How do you do that?

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2015, 08:27:19 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 13, 2015, 06:44:52 pm
The tags weren't a total waste of time.  You made a lot of corrections and will have a hard copy with your coins.  But using a Forvm gallery and typing in the info is your best option in my opinion.  I find writing my gallery descriptions fun.  Just take your time and do a few a day as you photograph them and edit the photos.

Hi Nick,

A few a day???!!!

I'm not re-typing everything all over again. That option is not on the table. I'm committed.

Meepzorp

Apparently you can post pics of the description in the spot reserved for text, as Alex mentioned above.  I wasn't aware of that option so you should be all set now.

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2015, 10:54:04 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 13, 2015, 06:39:24 pm
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 11, 2015, 03:08:37 pm
You'll be ok on computing power then. But you will need to download a word processor because that's the only practical way to draft your webpage text. Whether you use html or a web page maker, there's a presumption that you'll copy and paste your text sections from a word processor (or perhaps from spreadsheet fields), as the editing capabilities in html text editors, or in webpage makers where you fill in fields, will be very limited. You also need to save your text somewhere that's not in an ephemeral programming tool, and in a version you can use and edit offline when not connected. That again points to a word processor or spreadsheet. Somewhere you can save and edit your own data offline.

Hi Andrew,

A previous poster wrote that I don't need a word processor. You just stated that I do need one. Who is correct?

To be perfectly honest with you, I wasn't planning on putting much text in my website. Once a viewer is beyond the home page, there will be very little, if any, text.

Meepzorp

Indeed you don't "need" a word processor though it is rather odd not to have one since good word processors can nowadays be downloaded for free.

Hi Andrew,

My computer is my niece's old computer. When my sister bought this computer back in circa 2007-2008, it was supposed to have a word processor (Microsoft Word). She paid for it, but it didn't have one. At first, she thought it was in the computer. When she realized it wasn't, she thought it was contained on a disk that came with the computer. If such a disk ever existed, she never found it. By the time my sister realized that (a) the computer didn't have a word processor, and (b) there was no disk, it was too late to do anything about it. When she called Dell, they told her that it had "expired". And, despite the fact that she had paid for it, there was nothing that anyone could do at that point.

When she gave the computer to me a few years ago, I also tried to rectify the situation. I called both Dell and Microsoft. I was told the same thing, that it had "expired". So, my sister paid for something that she never got. Now, I am screwed because the computer is mine. I am stuck with a computer with no word processor in it.

Can you provide examples of "good word processors" that can be downloaded for free?

Thank you.

Meepzorp

A good alternative to Microsoft Office is LibreOffice. You can find it at https://www.libreoffice.org/ and it includes a word processor, a spreadsheet program, a presentation program and a few other office programs and it seems to do everything that I ever needed Microsoft Office for.
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2015, 10:57:29 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 13, 2015, 07:18:10 pm

Who is correct?

Meepzorp

I am correct  ;D

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2015, 02:39:26 am »
A good alternative to Microsoft Office is LibreOffice. You can find it at https://www.libreoffice.org/ and it includes a word processor, a spreadsheet program, a presentation program and a few other office programs and it seems to do everything that I ever needed Microsoft Office for.

Openoffice is also a well known alternative:
http://www.openoffice.org/why/index.html
It's been around for decades, and is slick and professional. Completely free as is Libreoffice.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2015, 06:04:50 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 13, 2015, 07:18:10 pm

Who is correct?

Meepzorp

I am correct  ;D

+++  ;D

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2015, 05:47:48 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 13, 2015, 07:14:37 pm
 Meepzorp

Alex.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know I could do that.

How do you do that?

However, the bottom photos look a little small. Is there a limit to their size?

Also, is there a limit to the number of photos I can add at the bottom? For some coins, I may need to add 4-6 photos at the bottom, in addition to the 2 main photos (which may be stitched into 1 photo).

Meepzorp

Hi folks,

Alex explained to me in a PM how to do this. It sounds complicated. And I don't fully understand every aspect of it, but I understand about 80% of what he explained.

Meepzorp

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2015, 05:51:01 pm »
Hi follks,

I'd like to thank mont and Andrew for the free word processor references.

If and when it becomes necessary for me to use a word processor, I will take that into consideration.

Meepzorp

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2015, 06:18:21 pm »

+1

Hi folks,

So, how do you do that?

Meepzorp

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2015, 06:29:01 pm »
Hi folks,

How do you create a folder within a folder within a folder?

Because my collection is so massive, I think I need an intermediate step (like a city, for example) between "Greek Italy" and the actual coin photos.

For example, I have several hundred Magna Graecia coins. I can't put all of those photos on one page. I have several dozen Neapolis coins and possibly more than 100 Campania coins. Because of the size of my collection, I must break it down and sub-divide it.

Or should I just break it down at the first step? Of course, that creates a situation where I could have literally dozens of folders (and possibly as many as 100 folders) at the first step. Is that even possible?

Meepzorp

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2015, 11:05:14 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 13, 2015, 07:19:10 pm

Hi cmc,

How do you do that?

Meepzorp

Sorry...was away for a while.

Besides the predefined sort options for the pictures in a GALLERY, if you go into the GALLERY you want to work with and select EDIT....towards the top will be a button to SORT MY PICTURES.  You can then move pictures UP or DOWN in the list to create a custom sort pattern.

But if you're starting from scratch, developing a file naming convention that will automatically sort them how you want them might be best.

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2015, 11:06:10 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 13, 2015, 06:44:52 pm
The tags weren't a total waste of time.  You made a lot of corrections and will have a hard copy with your coins.  But using a Forvm gallery and typing in the info is your best option in my opinion.  I find writing my gallery descriptions fun.  Just take your time and do a few a day as you photograph them and edit the photos.

Hi Nick,

A few a day???!!!

Meepzorp

Apparently you can post pics of the description in the spot reserved for text, as Alex mentioned above.  I wasn't aware of that option so you should be all set now.

Hi Nick,

No, I am not "all set now". I'll explain why below.

Alex answered me in 2 PMs. I don't know why. I'll try to post his explanations/instructions below so that everyone will understand why I can't use Forum's gallery.

Meepzorp

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2015, 11:09:00 am »
Hi folks,

This is what Alex explained in his first PM:

The easiest and quickest way would be for you to download all the photos of your tags into one folder then open two windows in your computer. On one window have the folder with all your tags on it displayed then use the other window to download your coins and instead of writing a description of your coin into the box simply go to the window with your tags displayed on it - right click on the appropriate tag and choose "copy image location" - return to the description box and paste the script. At the beginning of the script add img inside two square brackets [] and at the end of the script add /img inside two square brackets []. continue as normal and your tag picture will be in the box. There will no doubt be a limit to size but I haven't found it and there should be no problem in adding your photos or filling the box with your tag description.

I am sorry if my description is too long winded but if you have any difficulty in understanding what I am talking about lease don't hesitate to send me a PM.

By the way by using that image code you can also insert photos etc into your PM's as well.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity