Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mark Antony legionary times 7  (Read 1028 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Mark Antony legionary times 7
« on: July 27, 2021, 09:36:00 am »
I know that in general we limit the coins to one per thread but I thought it worth seeing these together to add context. I believe that they are all fakes and are associated with a seller whose entire offerings seem to be fake. I will add a separate nomination for them.

These are Mark Antony denarii Leg I, II, III, V, VII, XII and XX

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Mark Antony legionary times 7
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 09:49:46 am »
Leg ii and leg iii appear to be reverse die matches to my eye.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 12:24:55 pm »

Leg III and Leg V ? You guys have a better feel for these coins than I. If fake, and I don't doubt you, they look to be done by an experienced forger. Leg I has a nice edge split (at least in the photo).

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 12:37:49 pm »

Leg III and Leg V ? You guys have a better feel for these coins than I. If fake, and I don't doubt you, they look to be done by an experienced forger. Leg I has a nice edge split (at least in the photo).

Yes, my mistake - III and V.

As for edge spits, etc, larger splits can still be cast. Fakes can also be struck from cast dies, transfer dies, etc. These coins have other issues as well, such as style, patina, etc that match other known or suspected fakes.

My general rule of thumb is to be very wary of all Mark Antony legionary denarii. A very high percentage of the examples on the market today are suspect.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 03:46:05 pm »
I know that in general we limit the coins to one per thread but I thought it worth seeing these together to add context. I believe that they are all fakes and are associated with a seller whose entire offerings seem to be fake. I will add a separate nomination for them.

These are Mark Antony denarii Leg I, II, III, V, VII, XII and XX

Flat surfaces and the wear of the coin is reversed.  Very suspicious to my layman eyes
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline maridvnvm

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 10:31:01 am »
I have added the first 46 fakes from this seller to the fake reports. Most of which were not previously in the fake report. I am working my way through the remainder of their offerings.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 11:29:37 am »
Has the seller been nominated yet? I'm now curious to see where these were peddled.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline maridvnvm

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 12:20:35 pm »
I will nominate in a separate thread. Though I think that they are a reincarnation on another account.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity