Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Languages in the Roman Empire  (Read 8069 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Languages in the Roman Empire
« on: June 07, 2006, 03:53:20 pm »
Hi!

Recently I have found a list of all languages which were spoken in the Roman Empire between 100 BC and AD 395 which I want to share with you. The list is from "Die Sprachen im Römischen Reich der Kaiserzeit (Bonner Kolloquium 1974, Beihefte der Bonner Jahrbücher Jahrbücher Band 40, Rheinland-Verlag GmbH, Köln 1980)". I hope some of you have as fun as I when I read it!

- Egyptian (as Middle- and New-Egyptian, Early-, Middle- and Late-Demotian , Ancient-
      Coptic and Coptic)
- Albanian (1) (An ancient Illyrian language at the Adriatic Sea)
- Albanian (2) (A language family of the Caucasus, not related to (1); the main language was
      Arranian, which alone should have had 26 sublanguages)
- Arabian (In the types of Nabatean, Palmyric: an Arabian-west-aramaean hybrid language,
      Shafaitic(?), Tamudic)
- Aramaean (in the eastern parts of the Empire the usual trading and administration
       language, for a long time as important as Greek and Latin)
- Armenian
- Babylonian (Akkadian)
- Basque
- Dacian (related to Thracian; with the associated languages Getic, Moesian, Triballic)
- Etruscan
- Garamantic (in Northwest-Africa)
- Germanic (wether that were really particular differentiated languages in those times is
       unknown)
- Greek  (the Attic-Ionian Koine as standard language; regional dialects: Attic, Sorian,
       Epirotic, Ionian, Laconian, Macedonian, Messenian)
- Hebrew
- Hittite-Luwian residual languages (Isaurian, Carian, Lydian, Lycian, Pisidian, Sidetic)
- Iberian (1) (at the Iberian peninsula)
- Iberian (2) (in the Caucasus, not related to (1); ancient writers reported 70 to 300
       different languages in the eastern frontier regions of the Empire of which we don't know
       anything today)
- Illyrian
- Iranian
- Istrian
- Italic languages (in a narrow sense: Umbrian, Oscan, and the Sabellian intermedium
       dialects like Marsian, Paelignian and others)
- Celtic (Celto-Iberian on the Iberian peninsula; Gallic and Narbonensian in the western
       continental Europe, the Britannic languages: Bretonic, Cornic, Cymric, and the Goidelic
       languages: Irish, Manx and Scottish-Gaelic; Lepontic in northern Italy; in the Alpes:
       Noric, Pannonian-Dalmatian, Vindelic; Galatian in Asia Minor)
- Lasian (in the Caucasus)
- Latin (standard Latin, 'sermo castrense', and other special idioms)
- Liburnian
- Libyan (Numidian = eastern, the Tunesian-Algerian Massylian,and the western
       Masaesylian)
- Ligurian
- Messapian
- Mingrelian (in the Caucasus)
- Paionian (Phrygian?)
- Parthian
- Phoenician (declared as yet living!)
- Phrygian
- Punic (derivative language of the Phoenician in Carthage)
- Raetic
- Sarmatian
- Scythian
- Sumerian
- Syrian
- Thracian
- Venetic

Many of these languages are known only as names and we have no more informations about them.

Best regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity