Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Scorpion, Hare, and Snake Tessera  (Read 1214 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Scorpion, Hare, and Snake Tessera
« on: April 24, 2014, 05:48:43 pm »
Hi, here is a very small lead tessera with a scorpion on one side and a hare (or dog?) leaping over a snake on the reverse. The size is consistent with the diminutive pieces often found at Caesarea.  A second tessera, from the same region, is shown below and has a hare and snake in similar position.  Caesarea was also home to a temple of Mithras, who is associated with the scorpion, dog, and snake, so I don't want to rule out that possible link.  Any ideas on the mythology or meaning of the images would be welcome.  Thanks, V-drome.

BCC Lt31
Lead Tessera
Late Roman 1st-4th cent.?
Obv: Scorpion to left.
Rev: Animal , hare (or dog?),
leaping over snake.
11x9mm. 0.80gm. Axis:0

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Scorpion, Hare, and Snake Tessera
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 11:53:37 pm »
I thought I would bump this topic in case anyone has new ideas about the meaning of these types.  Thanks, jimi

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 04:59:42 am »
Really nice pieces, and ones that are rarely seen. I am not sure we can say anything with certainty about the precise meaning of any of these types. Consider also the possibility that there isn't any deeper meaning, and that these were chosen purely for decorative or aesthetic reasons.
Regards
Gert

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 06:36:26 am »
Thank you again, Gert.  Most of these very small leads are so poorly preserved.  These were two of the exceptions.

Best regards, Jimi

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 06:52:25 am »
The hare does remind me of this "Ephesian" tessera type: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=8103081

Regards
Gert

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 07:36:40 am »
Mithras, who is associated with the scorpion, dog, and snake

Yes -  part of the standard tauroctony scene., such as this example from the Mithraeum rear the Circus Maximus. The scorpion is always going after the poor bull's privates!

It does seem a very specific combination of animals.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 01:18:52 pm »
Very nice!  Thank you both.  What a spectacular relief carving.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity