Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ancient middle eastern coin  (Read 426 times)

Melanie

ancient middle eastern coin
« on: April 16, 2014, 04:42:09 pm »
I bought a lot of "uncleaned roman coins" and I've been having a fun time of cleaning them and trying to ID them. This one is way out of my league though. I haven't a clue what this is. A Lebanese buddy of mine said the writing may be Persian.

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
Re: ancient middle eastern coin
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:41:10 am »
It looks Islamic, if it was with a group of Romans it must be an early Islamic ruler/dynasty, unless the coins are from different strata, then this chronological connection doesn't exist. I would check the earlier Muslim rulers of whatever region your coin is from. Just a shot in the dark.
Ryan Collins, happy member of the Forvm.

Melanie

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:20:00 am »
Thank you, I will check into that.

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 02:08:46 am »
Your script seems to be of a different style, and the general fabric of the coins seems to be different. Perhaps some Ottoman para or akce.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity