Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hadrian / Zeus Ammon from Forvm  (Read 1368 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Hadrian / Zeus Ammon from Forvm
« on: May 19, 2010, 11:03:41 pm »
I like Alexandria when they're big enough not to need small detail (Alexandria doesn't do it on Imperial issues), and I thought Hadrian would go well with my Aigeai ones while the bust would make a good companion for the Sev Alex that I've had for three years and is certainly my favorite Sev Alex portrait.
So I'm posting them together.  There's a marble head of this kind of a Zeus-Ammon, I think among the Ince-Blundell marbles.
So I just bought the Hadrian, and I like him very much, the bust of Zeus-Ammon even better.  I didn't notice on the listing that it's rare, but that's quite all right, and it's my excuse for posting it in COTD.
The data are in Forvm, but I can add them as soon as I've copied them out.
Pat L.
CLICK TWICE FOR BEST RESOLUTION

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
Re: Hadrian / Zeus Ammon from Forvm
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 02:02:53 am »
Nice! I really like te portrait of Zeus

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 03:30:36 am »
I agree but the Severus Alexander is even better in my opinion.
Andreas Reich

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 05:02:51 am »
Yes, by year 10, Sev Alex was no longer a boy, and his life had not been such as to maintain a cosseted innocence; he had seen a lot and had a lot to worry about and think about  (though he may not have been much of a thinker).  It is hard to imagine that the engraver here was not trying to encapsule his idea of the emperor, and he certainly has done that, whether his idea was accurate and true or not: the portrait is memorable.  To do that to a god, still less to a conventional composite god, would of course be inappropriate and ineffective.  The Sev Alex drachm is rather worn, the Hadrian Zeus-Ammon bust is excellent condition, but both coins to me escape the too frequent flaccidity of Alexandrian Eirenes, et al.  Pat L.

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 01:23:58 pm »
Nice coin.

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 07:56:57 pm »
The thing that is great about your taste is that you come from an art history angle.  Your specimens might not always be the cream of the crop pricewise or even in terms of condition, but they ALWAYS are artistically marvelous.  I am still waiting for you to open a gallery here at Forvm for us to see your entire collection (or at least part of it).   ;)

Best, Noah

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 02:01:52 am »
Thank you, Noah.  When I'm collecting just for pleasure, not trying to study a mint, say, I do choose my own taste.  Scruples require me to add that art historians do not permit themselves that luxury; for art history, evidence is evidence.  When it was my turn to teach Art Appreciation (and we did take turns, because one can go stale on that kind of a course), then I did take pains to analyze what it is that makes some work more memorable and more admirable than the general run.  I think that the coins I choose to buy, just because they speak to me, I choose as a failed artist.  Many art historians and other kinds of art writers would have been artists if they'd really had what that takes.
I have trouble with the Gallery software.  That is why I have been making Albums in Picasa, since my blog created a Picasa resource for me.  It is very easy, and I can change images whenever I need to.  Of course, I also have some albums of no interest except perhaps to my family, but you can ignore those. http://picasaweb.google.com/slokind  One place or the other or at my web site in Forvm I'll be posting more, as I can.
Pat L.

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 08:50:59 pm »
Art History vs. Art Appreciation...of course!  Well, you appreciate well!   Thanks for the link; I look forward to checking it out.

Best, Noah

All coins are guaranteed for eternity