Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Poor coin, what else could go wrong?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Poor coin, what else could go wrong?
« on: September 19, 2009, 07:42:37 am »
This denarius of Titus as Caesar minted in Antioch has a lot of problems with it. The odd flan shape, the poor surfaces, and of course the double strike, all conspire to create a very unique and problematic coin!

Despite all that, I'm quite taken with it. The portrait is quite lovely and the horribly double struck reverse is oddly interesting.

Antioch did not have superb quality control at the time...this coin is a great example of such.

Titus as Caesar
RIC V1561 (C)
Antioch Mint, 72-73 AD
Obv - T CAES IMP VESP PON TR POT; Bust of Titus, draped, laureate, bearded, r.
Rev - NEP RED; Neptune stg. l., foot on globe, with acrostolium and sceptre

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
Re: Poor coin, what else could go wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 05:42:19 pm »
actualy i like it too

Offline Marsman

• Praetorian
  • Historia magistra vitae est
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 06:42:34 pm »
I recently purchased the type that was issued at Rome. I like this Antioch one much better. Lovely style!

Btw: Neptune is holding a globe under his foot. Is that the Earth?

Best regards,

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 11:41:36 pm »
I think the most accepted view of these globes on Roman coins is the idea they represent Rome's dominion over the cosmos. Though many scholars at the time knew the earth was round, I'm not sure how widespread this knowledge was...so the idea that the globe represents the earth is unlikely.

Offline jmpita

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 01:23:14 am »
Eratosthenes regarded the Earth as a spheric body in 194 B. C. and gave its dimensions with remarkable accuracy. I'm not quite sure but roman's elite, educated in the hellenic disciplines, knew Eratosthenes theories. Difficult to asume that these were translated into graphic designs for coins.
Regards,

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 05:15:59 pm »
I find it hard to believe that the educated few weren't aware that the Earth is round. For Eratosthenes' theory to be known today, his book has to have been copied and disseminated. I've read that there was another book in the library at Alexandria, which argued that the sun was the centre of the universe. The book was lost, presumably because people weren't convinced, so the book wasn't copied.

What the ordinary people believed was another matter. We don't, of course, have their thoughts on the matter. What we do have is texts like Genesis 1, which describe the Earth as though it was flat. Whoever put Genesis together, put it right next to a second, somewhat contradictory, account of creation, suggesting that they may not have intended every detail to be taken at literal face value. It may have been accommodation to the views of the people, but we don't know.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

bredtclan@charter.net

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 09:47:14 pm »
Nice obverse.  Don't know if the globe is the earth, but Aristarchus (310-230BC) was probably the first to propose a helocentric solar system.  To propose that kind of a model basically requires a non-flat earth.  Even the earth centric model of Ptolomey requires a non-flat earth.

But I don't know if the average Roman would know or care.  But I like to think the average Roman was better educated than the average 1000 AD european.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 11:48:32 pm »
Looks to me like a double strike.

A brockage would produce an incuse image...which neither are.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity