Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need info on 2 greek Ptolomy II coins  (Read 417 times)

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Need info on 2 greek Ptolomy II coins
« on: June 07, 2009, 08:08:56 am »
Can anyone help me with info on the following 2 coins. I normally collect Roman coins so I don't know much about these. Where they were minted and any other info would be greatly appreciated. How common are they etc. Here is the info I have on them. As the saying goes "it's Greek to me".

The first coin: AE 29, 16.46 gms diobol, struck by Ptolemy II Philadelphos, 285-246 B.C. Laureate Zeus facing right / Eagle, sigma symbol over shield in left field. BASILEOS right, PTOLEMAIOY left.

Second coin: AE 24-25, 12.72 gms Ptolemy II-IV, 3rd. century B.C. . Zeus Ammon facing right / Eagle with closed wings facing left. Sigma over lotusflower?

This info is what was provided when I obtained the coins.

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: Need info on 2 greek Ptolomy II coins
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 06:02:34 pm »
The exact cataloging of these depends on being able to see the small letters (control marks) between the eagle legs.  I can give you a general ID without a specific catalog #.

First coin -

Ptolemy II, ca. 275-260BC, diobol, Alexandria - type with Laureate Zeus and open-wing eagle with SIGMA over Galatian Shield to left of the eagle.  There are a number of these with different control letters with specific catalog #s.  From the www.ptolemybronze.com web site (denomination series page) you can see these possibilities (Sv### are Svoronos catalog #s):

A/T - Sv553
PI/A - Sv556
A - Sv560
D - Sv563
E - Sv568
Th - Sv571
I - Sv576
L - Sv580
O - Sv586
RHO - Sv593
Y - Sv598
PHI - Svxxx
none - Sv600

Second coin - similar to first but with additional X or XP symbol below the shield.  Same time basic period (Ptolemy II, pre-260BC) and some thought that these are related to the Chremonidian war during which Ptolemy II supported Athens (and which they lost).  Some of these have been found in Greece, but both of these sometimes come from a variety of locations throughout the Ptolemaic world.  There's another list of 'leg' letters/monograms that go with various catalog #s for this second type like the first one.   The compact flan with part of the obverse design off the coin is typical.  The obverse on this one looks nice and sharp and the reverse is pretty nice as well with all the major design elements clearly visible (shield, SIGMA, XP symbol, etc.)

IOW, both of these coins were made over a fairly well-defined period of time, in fairly large quantities, and with a number of specific 'letter' types (20 or more, in total).  It is likely that at the time these were made they were the largest Ptolemaic bronze coins in use.  The really big bronzes (70+ gm, AE40) started a bit later.

It seems likely but not 100% certain that your first coin is earlier than the 2nd coin.

The meaning of the unusual 'serifed' SIGMA above the shield is a bit mysterious, but it appears on at least these two types above the shield.  There's also a '1/2' denomination for each, also with the similar design elements (with Zeus in elephantskin headdress on the obverse).  The shield symbol may be connected to an important victory over mutinous Galatian troops in Ptolemy II's employ in about 275BC and that probably sets the earliest date for these coins.  The complete change in Ptolemaic bronze coinage in about 260BC probably sets the ending date.  If these are related to the Chremonidean war then the XP symbol (for CHRemonides, an Athenian ally of Ptolemy II) interpretation is enticing - simply not known for sure.

You can see plenty of examples of these types (with the various letters clearly visible and specific catalog #s) on www.ptolemybronze.com (view the PtolemAE Collection) and there are several of these and related coins offered right here at FAC's web site store.

Some specific 'letter' types are quite rare but in general these types are not all that scarce.  The exception is that any of these (or any other Ptolemaic bronze) in really nice condition is always rare.   I think of these as among the most interesting earlier Ptolemaic bronzes and much remains to be learned about the symbols on them.

PtolemAE

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 07:45:55 pm »
Thank you very much. It's folks like you that make this site what it is.

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:12:03 pm »
Thank you for your kind words.  I like Ptolemaic bronzes.

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity