Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RIC VIII, bust D and H errors  (Read 289 times)

Online Flav V

• Caesar
RIC VIII, bust D and H errors
« on: May 30, 2023, 04:03:54 am »
Hello,

I want to say you that there is an error on types VN MR or anepigraph with veiled bust of Constantine. On mints (i didtn checked the others) Antioch and Constantinople. It is wrote D6 wich is draped and cuirassed. It is therefore the bust H6: H for Head only and 6 for veiled.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
Re: RIC VIII, bust D and H errors
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 06:51:11 am »
There are certainly more similar errors in this volume, which is hardly surprising, after all, in a case of thousands of abbreviations. It would be useful to collect all these errors in one place.

BTW if anyone knows of errors in Volumes VI and VII that are not noted on the "Not in RIC" page, I would appreciate any info.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: RIC VIII, bust D and H errors
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 06:28:51 pm »
As I note in my book (p.145 and p.118-119), the two obverses used for this type should both be considered short busts and not heads. 

Both varieties have a small round ring shown at the bottom front - this represents a fibula and thus implies the representation of a shoulder.  One variety - found at Heracles, Nicomedia and Cynics actually includes a small portion of the right shoulder, the other does not, but both have the fibula.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity