Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: datebase or software  (Read 408 times)

Offline MARK W10

• Legionary
datebase or software
« on: May 06, 2022, 12:13:21 pm »
is there any currently available software for roman coins , i gather there was on called moneta but this is no longer available.
thanks
mark

Offline MARK W10

• Legionary
Re: datebase or software
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 04:01:58 pm »
i found a post in another section thatmentioned the my collection software it looks like it may be very useful.
mark

Offline MARK W10

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 04:05:23 pm »
looks like good software for roman coins

Offline Timestheus

• Praetorian
  • Veritas? Quid est veritas?
    • Timestheus Collection
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 04:07:41 pm »
The best way i think, dont be catched with a Software... If its possible for you, make your own thing.

One way, If you have the office package is Microsoft Access. Advantage is, you can design all fields as you want. You complete free design your recordsets. You can attach files and pictures. And its later easy make fast statistic and exports like you want.

Only you need in the beginning is some time Invest for learning about Access Database... But it is not so hard to learn.

But it is only for Windows. And only for lokal use.
If you want also use about web - make a look to NINOX.
Its very easy to design and use

Another way is a WordPress Database. I use Windows, Mac and Tablet Interface and want to use my DB with any Operating System at every place i stay. And i want save more informations. So WordPress is my favorite way. You can see it for example Here:
https://roma-aeterna.de/die-epoche-der-severer/

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 11:35:53 pm »
This is a topic I am always looking at. If you know databases and are comfortable with them, they are probably the best option, but they aren't necessarily easy. Access is not the only one. Mac has its own and I think Open Office has a database option. The options like MyCollection I just will not use. If you know how to maintain them, I am sure it is fine, but you can't really trust that any software like this will be maintained and updated. Most of these are simply templates, so if you know what you are doing, that is cool. I don't so I stay away from them. I created my own spreadsheet in Open Office, but the one thing about spreadsheets is that they all use the same technology because the guy that developed the first one made it open source. So, Lotus123, Excel, and the Open Office version are all the same. I love that guy and hope he got rich like everyone else who made millions on software back in the day. But he was an academic in a time when sharing was considered a virtue. So he gave it away.

Spreadsheets are not perfect, but you control everything about them and you are not dependent on what someone else has set up. They can also be changed as needed and are a lot easier than databases for those of us not programmers. Just make your own. That is what I did, anyway. It also depends on amount of data, but spreadsheets can handle a lot, more than I will ever need.

Virgil

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 09:20:44 am »
I use CollecOnline.com (the free version) for years now, and I think it’s the best way to keep a coins’ collection well organized. They have an option called « Create a PDF catalog » which is very useful, and you can even print on paper the coins in your collection.
DT

All coins are guaranteed for eternity