Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Questionable Postumus / Victory ant  (Read 617 times)

Offline postvmvs

• Praetorian
Questionable Postumus / Victory ant
« on: May 05, 2022, 09:48:28 pm »
I recently acquired a Postumus ant that I find suspicious. I am looking to solicit the opinions of others on its authenticity.

It looks similar but not the same die, as a cast fake I added to the fake coin reports long ago: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pid=9683
--postvmvs
(Not to be confused with 'postumus' spelled with 'u')

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: Questionable Postumus / Victory ant
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 07:23:56 am »
It’s hard to tell just by the style, Postumus has so many different ones. I see some pits but it could be corrosion. And what about the flan crack at 11:00 on the obverse ? Does it go through your coin ? Can you show a picture of the flan ?
DT

Offline postvmvs

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 05:44:59 pm »
The crack appears go through and ends very narrowly, which is to say a "real" crack as far as I can tell.

The flan is unevenly thick. Edge is fairly smooth.
--postvmvs

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 06:59:10 pm »
Looking similar to a cast is not an indication of fake at all. Not even a little. Fakes can be cast from genuine coins. Many many genuine coins may l look similar to a fake cast from a genuine coin. For casts, essentially identical is an indicator. Similar is not. Once you say, not the same dies, there can simply be no relationship.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline postvmvs

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 01:15:26 pm »
Yes, sorry if I was unclear, I meant to highlight the style and fabric is similar to other fakes. The fabric is not similar to other Postumus ants I have, but is similar to the linked fakes. The crack makes me think this coin was struck. The smooth edges on the flan and odd patina raise concerns. Based on the 'thin' portrait this should be early in Postumus' reign, and of high enough silver to appear silver in color, whereas this coin appears to be bronze. The weight of my coin is 2.27 grams, which is light for the issue. If this coin is a struck fake, I would expect more examples to exist.
--postvmvs

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 02:05:33 pm »
Based on the information you gave, it’s probably struck. So could it be a contemporary imitation produced at a non-official mint ?
DT

Offline postvmvs

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 09:29:11 pm »
I suppose I can't rule that out, but the smooth regular edge make me think "modern" rather "contemporary counterfeit".
--postvmvs

All coins are guaranteed for eternity