Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Thasos stater - real?  (Read 650 times)

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
Thasos stater - real?
« on: April 11, 2022, 05:18:53 pm »
Hi all,

I have some doubts about this coin, mainly because of its low price - 200$, which is more than a bargain for this rare variety;
another reason is the surface dirt seem to come off pretty easily, and weight is 8.20, which seems normal, but a bit on the low end.
Otherwise it looks and feels ok in hand, but there are many and different fakes of this thasos stater type, so I decided to ask for some expert help.
Thanks in advance!

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Thasos stater - real?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 05:41:02 pm »
I see a number of what look like "casting pearls."  I doubt the coin is ancient.

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 12:20:26 am »
Thanks! So, as I supposed - "too good to be true". I have to admit I didn't suspect it to be cast,
but rather a pressed or struck fake, there are some tiny edge cracks. Probably a 'high quality" cast then, but are there any other indications for a cast fake?  Not quite sure about the casting pearls you mentioned, but if this turns out to be a fake
with a sure, I'd better stick to my provincials

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 07:10:19 am »
Sadly, these days bargains often prove to be too good to be true!  Mentioning provincials, which I used to collect but do no longer--just for the fun of it I maintain a catalogue of imperials of Apollonia in Illlyria.  That is easy to do because of the rarity of the imperial period coins of that city.  I know that RPC will eventually cover the entire period for the town, bit it is fun in the meantime.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 08:27:14 am »
See this page for the issues of this type and their style.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/NumisWiki/view.asp?key=Satyrs%20and%20Nymphs

This coin does not seem to match any of the issues/styles known to me. I don't think it is cast.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 09:03:00 am »
Here is , if not a die match, but same style dies, I think. A rare type, better example than the present
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=997079

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 02:21:25 pm »
Interesting. Attached is a larger image of the Nomos coin. It looks more the normal style than the coin that started this thread. I think that may be because the coin that started this thread may be tooled.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 03:03:18 pm »
I won't be surprised, the fields looked kinda too even and somehow doesn't fit to the whole depiction. Of course, this is just a probability, it may just be a worn coin, but not a fake in any case.
Tooling would explain the low price it was offered for, probably derived from much worse, poor condition, even for a very rare type. Thank you for your help!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity