Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Available soon from Archaeopress: Acheloios, Thales and the Origin of Philosophy  (Read 464 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
My new book about Acheloios and Thales should be available soon. It is part of a new series--Archaeology and Classical Humanities.

Not many people realize that philosophy (traditionally understood) and coinage emerged in nearly the same place at the same time, and that the two enterprises share an intimate bond--according to some commentators (not me), coinage literally caused philosophy. If you are interested in the intersection of philosophy and numismatics you'll love this book, I guarantee it!

I'll post links when it is available!

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Brilliant!  I had no inkling of that nexus. I look forward to being better informed!

Cheers~
Chris

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Chris—there is a LOT in there about Anaximander!

Thanks for the enthusiasm :)

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Hello friends,

The sampler is here, which includes an abstract, TOC, introduction (covering the entire argument) and bibliography:

https://www.academia.edu/77177755/Acheloios_Thales_and_the_Origin_of_Philosophy_A_Response_to_the_Neo_Marxians

Thanks for your interest.

Nick

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
The book is now available!

https://www.archaeopress.com/Archaeopress/Products/9781803270869

US customers I may have a few extra copies at a slightly discounted rate--PM if interested.

Nick

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Books have arrived.  I will have about 20 extra.  $50 shipped (retail is $75 not including shipping).  PM to order.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity