Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help needed to identify this (Celtic/Greek) coin, please?  (Read 893 times)

Offline 186

• Praetorian
Help needed to identify this (Celtic/Greek) coin, please?
« on: March 03, 2022, 05:29:55 pm »
This coin was advertised as 'Greek', but I am more inclined towards 'Celtic'. (Perhaps Durotriges.)
I have found that some coins are even described as 'Greek Celtic'.
I am afraid that my knowledge in this area is lacking and I am hopeful to get ideas from some others who are more knowledgeable than I, when it comes to these types of coins.
I can tell you that the coin is AE10mm., and 1.10 gm.
It appears to have a prancing riderless horse on one side, and four pellets in a square with four more pellets outside the square, on the other.
Thank you.

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Help needed to identify this (Celtic/Greek) coin, please?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 08:44:40 pm »
Dear 186 and Board,

How intriguing!  Celtic it almost certainly is, and I strongly suspect this Maroneia issue (or a similar one) was the prototype:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4369031

Here are some similar imitations for comparison:

https://www.corpus-nummorum.eu/coins/16590
https://www.corpus-nummorum.eu/coins/16592
https://www.corpus-nummorum.eu/coins/16593   

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline 186

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 12:45:15 am »
Thank you, Mark.
(With your input), the consensus appears to be Maroneia, Thrace, contemporary (barbarous) imitation, 280-125BC.
I actually have a second one of them, albeit somewhat smaller.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 12:29:32 am »
One thing to note is that Celtic is almost always included in the "Greek" sections of catalogs, which is super crazy when thinking of, say, British Celtic coins. Even when there is a subsection for Celtics they are often included under the Greek heading. There are other civilizations handled the same way, such as Carthage. It makes no sense but seems to be a convention. Even Lydia, where coins seem to have been invented, was not Greek until later on. And, by this logic, Judean coins should not have their own section, but should be part of Greek or Roman. And to get really confused, deal with Roman Provincials (Greek Imperials).

Virgil

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 09:41:36 am »
Those are nice examples of the type, 186. (And helpful examples from CN, Mark Fox.)

I immediately recognized your first coin by type, since I've come across those same ones at least a couple times. Unfortunately I was not able to dig any of mine up yet when I went digging around, but hopefully I can post photos later. (I really love these tiny little imitative horse & dots ones.) Gorny & Mosch sold several enormous group lots of them in their Auction 233 in 2015, lots 2944-2947 included >750 coins total, many or most being of this type. Here's Lot 2945 on ACSearch.info

I believe there may be a continuum of imagery between the official and the most Celticized, or at least an array of different imitations (as with many other imitated types). I suspect my two examples below are imitatives, but closer to full size and official imagery. (The first I think I sold years ago but still have this photo, the second I just photographed now) which are a bit closer in style to official, but which I've always believed were imitations. I suppose the first could just be a legend variation or blunder I'm not aware of (MATK- instead of MAPK-):

16mm, 4.3g for the first, 14mm, 3.47g, 3h for the second.

“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Zoltan K

• Legionary
this is mine  horse horse celtic ;D ;D ;D

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 11:38:21 am »

Offline 186

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 08:04:46 pm »
Thank you, one and all for your input.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity