Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: From Simon Bendall's Library.  (Read 952 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
From Simon Bendall's Library.
« on: February 18, 2022, 07:16:14 pm »
Today I recieved a new book or catalog  It was a work in Simon Bendall's library. The seller described it as interesting.

Byzantine Copper Coins described as" A small collection of Byzantine copper coins including a number from Western Mints, a few of considerable rarity and some of great interest which cannot at present be attributed."

The collection was from Michael Dennis O'hara, one of the cowriters of Byzantine Coins and their values. The others David Sear and Simon Bendall.

So I immediately check it out, I wanted to see the unattributed, I also saw it had a Alexius II coin and I wanted to see that too (No Alexius II coins are known.) first thing, it is not a book but a preparation for auction catalog, when this auction occurred, or if it occurred, I do not know. The author had passed away in 2014. The pages are large cut outs of the coins 5x times actual size, this must have been a prep before printing.

In the upper right of the photo the  REX coin now attributed to Richard the Lion Heart in Cyprus. When this catalog was written it was thought to be Alexius II Comnenus.

Now  one of these coins  caught my attention, the small tetarteron on the middle of the second page, my first thought I have one of those, then I looked more closely, it is my coin. A Latin tetarteron. ( Center Coin.)

So at the end of the day I got a new and interesting book, my coin that was purchased last year as a unknown coin from Heidelberger Münzhandlung Herbert Grün e. K. Now suddenly has a new provenance, as being from the collection of one of the contributors to SBCV. Dennis Michael Ohara.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=173323

Part of his bio describing where his collection was sold on the DO web site. I am sure I could do a bit of looking and find it but no idea how they labeled it.

His collection, including the Tiber hoard coins, was sold in a joint-auction by Leu Numismatik and Numismatica Ars Classica in Zürich on 26 May 1993, partly to the then famous antiquities dealer Robin Symes. After his death, a few coins from his Nachlass appeared in Morton and Eden 75, 2 July 2015, where DO bought two 7th-century silver coins struck in Sardinia (BZC.2015.043 and BZC.2015.044).

Just a story I wanted to share.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: From Simon Bendall's Library.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 08:51:21 pm »
That’s awesome!

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 09:00:27 pm »
I have Simon Bendall's set of Hess-Leu and Bank Leu auction catalogues.  Many with interesting correspondence and bid notes tipped -in.  They are like a time capsule and fun to look through.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 10:49:46 pm »
Thank You Molinari, Very cool Michael.
 I did get another book from his collection, no notes though, It is a proof copy of Eleni Lianta of Late Byzantine coins. I already had the book but I bought it because the plates in this book are in color and seem to be easier to view.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 04:49:31 pm »
That is a great story and an awesome find, Simon!  Thanks for sharing.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 11:49:17 pm »
Yes, interesting story, small world at times.

CW

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 09:57:51 pm »
That's a great find, congratulations! I'd been hoping to add one of the Bendall Library books to my collection since I haven't been able to add any of his coins. I hesitated, since international shipping can be expensive on books, but hopefully I'll have another chance!
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

All coins are guaranteed for eternity