Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin Hoards of the Roman Republic  (Read 702 times)

Offline Virgil H

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Coin Hoards of the Roman Republic
« on: July 13, 2021, 10:24:51 pm »
The American Numismatic Society has a wonderful resource on Coin Hoards of the Roman Republic. Not specifically about maps, there is, however a great map of the known hoards:
http://numismatics.org/chrr/maps

There is much more information one can glean from this site than just a map of where hoards were found and often documented. One hoard of interest is the one in the north of England at a time before the Romans were a major force in Britain. This particular hoard had three coins (does three coins actually indicate a real hoard?), nevertheless it is interesting. This one is in Weston and consists of three denarius dated between 63 and 31 BC. How did they get there? Who owned them? All interesting questions for me.

I enjoy maps and playing with sites like this, but I always wonder how collectors use these types of data. I understand researchers, but, as a collector, beyond being interesting, who uses these sites and how? I would be interested in learning about their usefulness.

Cheers,
Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity