Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Glass "token" from Roman Egypt  (Read 15328 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Glass "token" from Roman Egypt
« on: April 23, 2016, 06:53:08 am »
Hi,

Thought I'd share this. I recenty picked up a parcel of late third century Alexandrian tetradrachms but included in the group, besides a shocking follis of Galerius, were two glass items. The first glass item was a Fatimid glass weight of al-Hakim, the other is pictured below.

At 18mm diameter, in green glass, it is a token or gaming counter with Nike, right, on one side and the bust of Herakles on the other. It dates to between the 4th and 6th century AD (ref: Roman glass in the Corning Museum 3, pg 40-41, 951).

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Glass "token" from Roman Egypt
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 05:49:06 pm »
Mauseus:

Here is my example= Emmett-4679 (purchased as exDattari-6554, but not completely certain of this fact). Too bad you did not post a color picture (to compare the colours.)

Iwaniw

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 12:48:15 pm »
Hi,
These are a pain to photograph, they really are I find. If you can get a decent image of the design you lose the colour accuracy and vice versa. There are two or three on dealer websites where th image is totally obliterated but the colour may be more representative.

In reality the colouris more akin to yours.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 08:20:57 am »
Hi,
     I realize this is an old posting, nevertheless, I'd like to add this...
1.     Use a white background to avoid color contamination
2.     Use two lights
        a.  Back light the glass
        b.  Surface light the object
     See my photo on page 2, posted 4-27-13.
I hope this helps.
Russ

All coins are guaranteed for eternity