Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small bronze of Kos, Caria  (Read 781 times)

Offline Cloudcuckoo

• Praetorian
Small bronze of Kos, Caria
« on: November 16, 2015, 09:28:05 pm »
Hello everyone,

I wonder if it is possible to decide upon a reference for this small bronze coin from the island of Kos? I have been trawling through every potential resource at my disposal which might record a similar looking magistrate's name, but have had no luck. I am able to make out what I think are the following letters in the exergue of the reverse: (Γ or Π) Υ - Θ --. I'm really at a loss, but am wondering if ΠΥΘΙΩΝ could be a possibility? I'm not even sure if such a name is recorded for this small bronze type.

Anyway, all I have for a rough description is as follows:

Kos, Caria. c. 3rd-2nd century BC.  10.5mm, 1.42g.
Obv. Head of Herakles, beardless,  right, wearing lion's skin.
Rev. Crab, ΚΩΙ above, club below. Magistrates name in exergue.

Any further information such as a references would be great. Any identity of the magistrate would be perfect!

Many thanks in advance for your time.

Kind regards to all,

Derek.

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
Re: Small bronze of Kos, Caria
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 12:39:46 am »
Looks like HGC (Handbook of Greek Coinage) Vol. 6, 1338 also citing Ingvaldsen, Issue XVIII, nos. 1-77.  Closest magistrate I see could be   :Greek_Pi_2::Greek_Upsilon: :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Gamma: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Omega:

Offline Cloudcuckoo

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 08:57:17 am »
Thanks for replying Jaimelai,

Sadly I don't have access to that volume of HGC and as I can't find an online example listed as 1338 I'm unable to know how it defines that type. I assume it describes the common features minus the specific magistrate's name?

The fourth letter of the name is what confuses me. It looks like a Greek theta of the dot in a circle type, although if regarded that way it doesn't look quite level with the others.

I wish I had SNG Finland!

Derek.

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 08:12:50 pm »
Here is an excerpt from the book.

Offline Cloudcuckoo

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 10:03:44 pm »
Thank you very much for that, Jaimelai. So I see that the categories used, or at least that of 1338, are fairly broad. It gives me a sound usable reference for now though. Cheers!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity