Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Late roman hook clasps?  (Read 766 times)

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
Late roman hook clasps?
« on: September 04, 2021, 11:18:50 am »
What this hook like objects have been used for?All have been found on late roman military sites.I am very much tempted to suggest they have been used to  clasp the chain armour but can not find similar pieces on internet.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Late roman hook clasps?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 05:56:45 pm »
They certainly don't match anything attested for Roman amour in the Principate era.  Armour finds from the late Roman era are less well documented and armour was generally simpler than the earlier types.

I will see if I can dig up anything more.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
Re: Late roman hook clasps?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 01:18:46 am »
Thanks for the reply.Just bear in mind these are metaldetecting finds,there is no context,so as well could be something used in the everyday life asociated with the military,jenerally coins on this sites are from Theodosius to Zeno if this is of  any help

All coins are guaranteed for eternity