Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

Who is your choice for member of the year (vote for up to 3 members)?

Jochen
tacrolimus (Luigi)
pep (Kevin)
Manzikert
Maridvnvm (Martin)
slokind (Pat)
Rupert
Steve Minnoch
Pscipio (Lars)

Author Topic: FORVM Member of the Year 2006 Poll !!  (Read 6894 times)

Offline FORVM AUCTIONS

• FORVM STAFF
  • Consul
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS AUCTION LISTINGS
FORVM Member of the Year 2006 Poll !!
« on: January 18, 2007, 04:07:14 am »
Here it is, the 2006 Member of the Year poll !  Anyone can vote for 3 people from the list.

I would like to congratulate the nominees and thank them for their contribution to this community.  I hope I did not leave anyone out! If so, please don't hesitate to send me a PM.

Good luck !

Alex

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
Re: FORVM Member of the Year 2006 Poll !!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 08:26:40 am »
I'm seeing titles by the names of those with the most votes so that must mean this poll is closed ;D

I wish to congratulate slokind for being named "Tribuna Plebis Perpetua"!  Thank you Pat for the knowledge you freely share with us that others pay thousands of dollars to an educational institution to hear!

Congratulations also to Jochen for becoming our "Tribunus Plebis 2006"!  Thank you Jochen for what you share!  This especially goes for your "Coins of mythological interest" thread, which could even be made into its own book considering its breadth and depth!

Finally, I am grateful to all the other candidates for their contributions to our community and wish them and the rest of you good luck in future "Member of the Year" polls.

Kevin  :)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 10:02:54 am »
Congratulations to Pat and Jochen for their well-deserved honor!
Curtis Clay

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 01:13:08 pm »
It is an honor indeed, and I don't need to say that I am aware of being an incomplete numismatist.  I am only among those who prove that a good classical education is a powerfully enabling endowment; a good scientific education will do just as well (it certainly serves Jochen and Luigi just as well).  Many of you know that I began studying coins seriously only seven years ago, previously having known them only as part of classical art and archaeology and from having been sent to the ANS Summer Seminar in 1958 at the instigation of my professors in both Greek art and Greek language: I have never learned more in the space of ten weeks.  The hardest part of numismatics is the history and geography (not only on maps).  In that connection I must remember* with gratitude and affection W. K. Pritchett, who taught me not only Greek but how to use epigraphy.  He and D. A. Amyx saw to my going to the ANS seminar, too.  But the coins themselves have taught me all the history and geography that one rarely, if ever, is taught formally.  So I am grateful to everyone who did vote; I voted, too.
* I think he is still among us; he was a couple of years ago.  b. 1909, the same year as my father.
Pat Lawrence

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 02:58:00 pm »
Dear Forum's members!

I'm very proud to see me next to our experts Pat and Curtis from whose I learn so much! I'm only a dilettante, meaning I love my hobby. But I hope I could 'seduce' some members by my articles to look behind the coins too.

Thank you all for voting. I think all the names on the list were worth it. To console them: next year there is another chance. I hope I can demonstrate that I'm worth the title. I will do my best!

Best regards

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 03:07:39 pm »
Congratulations to both Pat and Jochen - two very worthy 'winners' indeed.  It takes time as well as knowledge to contribute so much which I am sure many members recognise.

MAlcolm

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 01:25:52 am »
I see no titles anywhere except in messages of congratulation.   To those, I add my own.  They are well deserved.

Is there an official announcement anywhere?
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 05:57:21 am »
I would also like to add my congratulations to both Pat and Jochen. Thoroughly well deserved awards and recognition of a real contribution to the boards.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 08:18:43 am »
I see no titles anywhere except in messages of congratulation.   To those, I add my own.  They are well deserved.

The titles are the first things listed underneath their usernames.  Since both recipients have posted here, you can scroll up to see the titles to the left of their posts.

Is there an official announcement anywhere?

This is it, I guess.  I saw those titles and came to this thread to offer my congrats.

Kevin  :)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 09:18:03 am »
Oh, I see, you mean the titles on the left under the usernames!  I was looking for them in the poll itself.  Well, excellent, the titles are well deserved.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 10:34:21 am »

I am sorry to see that I missed the Poll this year…
  If I had, I would certainly have cast my three shards – of which, two of them would have been for Patricia and Jochen.

That they have well earned and deserve the distinctive recognition must be as clear as the Mediterranean Sun to all FORVM members who’ve spent any time here worth mention.

While I continue to learn and expand my knowledge and understanding of both coins and history from virtually everyone who contributes to this wonderful Forvm – I’d be very hard pressed to recall any who have and do teach me more or more-regularly than Pat & Jochen.
  Both of them in-themselves prove too, that Pride & respect do not beget arrogance, as both are as willing to help the most ignorant as they are able to converse with the most knowledgeable – and they do so with precisely that graciousness of tone, manner and Spirit which makes the title Caesar more than just an aesthetic pleasantry.

That all said, as much as I wish extend my congratulations to both, I express my gratitude as well – and it is the latter of which that would have cast two of my votes for them.

I honestly don’t even care if it sounds overly ‘mushy’ to say it – I think the world of them both.

Very best, as ever –
   Tia

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 05:48:47 pm »
Hi Tia!

I always admire the nice words you find. Thank you for all!

Best regards

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 04:51:02 pm »
Hi,

Most sincere congratulations to Pat and Jochen, you are both persons from whom I like very much to learn.

Thank you for your knowledge, generosity and patience

Regards
Potator

Douglas

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 07:43:56 pm »
I am sorry I missed this year's poll as well. I've been on a hiatus from ancient coins for awhile, and am easing back into them. I don't read everything here, and I might have missed this poll even if I had been fully active. Having said that, I certainly would have voted for the two who did win. Jochen not only provides excellent help, information, and attribution references, but also poses interesting questions which spark good discussion. And Pat is always the educator. She provides interesting insight in particular to the art of the coinage, and her excellent comparisons to statuary as well as her artistic analysis absolutely broaden and excite my interest in ancient coins. I think Pat alone has had the most influence in my change to collecting coins not just for their history, but also their artistic value (I'm still maintaining my countermark focus however). All this is in addition to her numismatic and historical knowledge.

Which leads me to this: Forum is the most interesting online community I belong to. 1000 active members isn't a huge number, but the quality of the contributions here is absolutely unmatched. I think it represents everything right about web communities. Scholarly discussions and shared knowledge with the goal of advancing our understanding not only of numismatics, but also history and the historical context of coins with a bit of semiotics thrown in, and all in a collegial atmosphere. A few years ago I didn't know a follis from a globus cruciger, but I felt welcome here in my ignorance. It's astounding to me that the people with the immense knowledge they have would spend the time and patience to teach a total novice. It's that kind of attitude that makes this a great forum, and even more: an astoundingly rich hobby. So congratulations to the deserving winners of the poll, and thanks to everyone else for making this the excellent forum that it is. Without the great people here there wouldn't be awards and appreciation to bestow on Jochen and Pat. Additional thanks to Joe for sponsoring Forum and maintaining it's quality which can be a difficult challenge on it's own.

Doug

All coins are guaranteed for eternity