Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Bronze 2 Solidi Weight?  (Read 1419 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Bronze 2 Solidi Weight?
« on: October 03, 2020, 09:02:07 am »
I acquired an interesting Byzantine bronze weight as part of a lot.  It measures approximately 15.66 mm x 15.38 x 5.34 mm and weighs 8.93 g.  On the obverse, there is  :Greek_Nu:  :Greek_Beta: within a wreath.  There are grooved edges.  This is a bit tangential to my area of collecting and would appreciate learning more about this weight. I believe that this is a 2 solidi weight.  Does the style indicate a particular date of the weight?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Re: Byzantine Bronze 2 Solidi Weight?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 05:41:34 pm »
Yes, this is a Byzantine 2 nomismata (solidi) weight.

Entwhistle at the British Museum dates pieces like this to the 5th & 6th centuries AD.

Ross G.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 05:54:08 am »
Thank you Ross for helping me date this nice Byzantine weight.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 11:23:54 pm »
Nice weight.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity