Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: theodosius solidus for discussion  (Read 998 times)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
theodosius solidus for discussion
« on: May 04, 2013, 07:19:35 am »
 can anyone comment on the spots on the cheek of the bust please or are they normal on gold coins

after a few comment I will add some history to this coin

the bottom one is from wildwinds

T P or T R in fields on the top one

Offline R. Smits

• Deceased Member
  • Consul
Re: THEODOSIUS AUREUS FOR DISCUSSION
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 11:00:35 am »
The second coin has small bulbs a well, behind hid head and neck... 2 is 100% ok, 1 is doubtful (too smooth)
R. Smits

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 11:58:19 am »
 thank you for your great reply I just saw the bumps and had I wanted to spend money on a gold coin would have been very doubtful
 still trying to learn what is correct on a coin
  a link for you thank you for your expertise and comments

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-22346772

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 12:22:37 pm »
Booth solidus looks ok from Photo, I see what you call dots on the face on the first one , but this could be a die rust spots.
a final judgment would be by examining booth in hand.
best.
Salem Alshdaifat

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 12:26:40 pm »
Booth solidus looks ok from Photo, I see what you call dots on the face on the first one , but this could be a die rust spots.
a final judgment would be by examining booth in hand.
best.
Salem Alshdaifat

Would that be because the gold wasn't pure please?

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 12:31:06 pm »
 copied some helpful information

Rust spot

Reddish or rust color spots can appear on gold coins which may be removed by professionals. A brown or reddish spot on gold doesn't mean the item is not real solid gold.

Often a faint amount of trace metal or other material will get on the dies prior to the striking of the coin or bar. When the coin is struck the molecules of the other metal (or impurities) are then fixed into the coin. They may be so thin or dispersed that they are not obvious to the naked eye.

Other times such impurities may come in contact with the coin blank before striking it into a coin. This surface discoloration can occur on gold coins and gold bars.

What to do about it if your gold coin or gold bar has red or rust colored spotting?

In most cases coin experts recommend you do nothing to a coin that shows spotting imperfections. Any type of cleaning is abrasive and may reduce the grade of a coin and hurt the coin's value

On the coin I can see they aren't exactly rust spots but they could be impurities which were covered by the gold
 I don't expect they were working in clinical conditions

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: theodosius solidus for discussion
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 12:58:52 pm »
Nothing obviously wrong with either coin. Not that you can tell just from these photos anyway. Too smooth isn't a reason to condemn a coin. And to me it doesn't look "too smooth" anyway. I see plenty of flow lines.

Wrong definition of rust spots. Salem was refering to die rust, not oxide rust.

Blowing the photos up it looks more the the bumps in the cheek were caused by a sharp punch of some sort. There appears to be depressions below the bumps, the bumps the being caused by metal being pushed up. Not bumps in the die or flan but bumps caused by damage.

Barry Murphy

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 01:11:57 pm »
Nothing obviously wrong with either coin. Not that you can tell just from these photos anyway. Too smooth isn't a reason to condemn a coin. And to me it doesn't look "too smooth" anyway. I see plenty of flow lines.

Wrong definition of rust spots. Salem was refering to die rust, not oxide rust.

Blowing the photos up it looks more the the bumps in the cheek were caused by a sharp punch of some sort. There appears to be depressions below the bumps, the bumps the being caused by metal being pushed up. Not bumps in the die or flan but bumps caused by damage.

Barry Murphy

Thank you for correcting me I have never studied gold coins before and seeing these imperfections made me question it

It is odd that both coins from the same mint have these bulbs in different places I will look at some more gold coins to try and learn.
 Thank you all for your time. .

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 01:39:17 pm »
Helen,

The coins are from different mints. Since you're trying to learn ill let you figure out the mints.

Barry Murphy

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 01:52:35 pm »
Helen,

The coins are from different mints. Since you're trying to learn ill let you figure out the mints.

Barry Murphy

Well I am stunned at your comment second one is COM in exergue and is from the Mediolanum mint

just checking on the first one as I thought it was the same grrrrrrrr

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 02:08:18 pm »
hint  :look at the side's of the rev not at the ex :) , you already mentioned the difference before :)
Salem Alshdaifat

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 02:17:52 pm »
 Is it TRIER please not that I have found this coin yet but found another emperor with a  solidus with T R across fields and COM in exergue

I need to get faster that took 25 minutes even with a HINT

yep got it

Valentinian II AV Solidus. Struck 388-392 AD. Diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right / Valentinian & Theodosius seated facing, both nimbate, holding globe between them; behind & between them Victory is standing with outspread wings, small palm between; T-R across fields, mintmark COM.

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 02:29:49 pm »
yes it is :)
 Treveri (Trier) mint.
as Barry Said it is better to learn it your self :)
best regards.
Salem Alshdaifat

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 03:07:25 pm »
yes it is :)
 Treveri (Trier) mint.
as Barry Said it is better to learn it your self :)
best regards.
Salem Alshdaifat

A big thank you to all of you for your points of view, 
 As you say finding out myself is a great way and means I am not likely to forget.   +++

petier

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 10:01:57 am »
Quote from: R. Smits, Numismatist for Numismall on May 04, 2013, 11:00:35 am
The second coin has small bulbs a well, behind hid head and neck... 2 is 100% ok, 1 is doubtful (too smooth)

most likely the 1st looks ok, and the 2nd very hard to say anything by this photo.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 01:13:37 pm »
When you respond on a thread and contradict a Procurator Monetae, you should specifically address why your opinion is different from the expert.  Otherwise, your opinion seems to be based on less than all the information already provided.  You are also, probably wrong.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity