Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carthago's Roman Republic Gallery Additions  (Read 18242 times)

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
Carthago's Roman Republic Gallery Additions
« on: December 05, 2012, 09:52:44 pm »
Thought I'd start a Republican gallery with a couple recent additions.  I'll add to it and this thread as time permits.  

L. Philippus. 113-112 BC. AR Denarius (3.92 g). Head of Philip V of Macedon right, wearing diademed royal Macedonian helmet with goat horns; monogram of ROMA behind; Φ below chin / Statue of equestrian right on inscribed tablet, carrying laurel branch; flower below horse. Crawford 293/1; Sydenham 551; Marcia 12.

The money’s ancestor, L. Marcius Q.f. Philippus had negotiated a treaty of friendship with Philip V of Macedon and the close connections between the Marcii and the Macedon royal house continued through later generations. The first Republican coin to portray a historical person, rather than a deity or personification.

Ti. Quinctius. AR Denarius (18 mm, 3.85 g), Roma (Rome), c. 112-111 BC.
Obv. Laureate bust of Hercules left, lion's skin around shoulders, club over shoulder.
Rev. Desultor with two horses left; rat left below; TI - Q above D.S.S (incuse) on tablet; in upper right field, .K.
Crawford 297/1.

A Desultor was an acrobat who jumped from one horse to another at games.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
Re: Roman Republic Gallery Additions
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:16:41 pm »
Just arrived today.  Cool grasshopper.

C. Allius Bala. 92 BC. AR Denarius (16mm, 3.85 g, 6h). Rome mint. Diademed female head (Diana?) right; N below chin / Diana driving galloping biga of stags right, holding spear, torch, and reins; grasshopper below. Crawford 336/1b; Sydenham 595; Aelia 4

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 01:47:21 pm »
Just picked this up at the SF Historical Bourse last weekend.  If you haven't been to that, I recommend it.  Nice event.

This coin looks MUCH better in hand.  Great tone.

P. Fonteius P. f. Capito AR Denarius. Rome, 55 BC. P•FONTEIVS P•F•CAPITO•III•VIR, helmeted and draped bust of Mars Tropaeophorus right, trophy over shoulder / MN•FONT•TR•MIL, Roman horseman thrusting his spear at a Gallic enemy who is about to slay an unarmed comrade. Crawford 429/1; Sydenham 900. 3.88g, 20mm, 1h.

Offline MagisterRiggs

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 12:09:19 pm »
Nice coins...I especially like the Quinctius.

Cary Riggs
PUGNA MEDIOCRITEM, NOSCE LATINAM!

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 12:29:33 am »
The last coin of 2012.  It's still in the mail, but I've had my eye on this coin for a couple years.  I bid on it in the auction that it was last sold in, but lost to a better bidder.  Time for it to come to it's new home.

M. Plaetorius M.f. Cestianus. Denarius 69, AR 3.89 g. Draped female bust r.; behind, unidentified symbol. Rev. M PLAETORI CEST S·C Half-length bust of Sors facing upon tablet inscribed SORS. Babelon Plaetoria 10. Sydenham 801. Crawford 405/2.

The Romans undertook the imaginative task of deifying the virtues, qualities and affections of the mind. These they have represented by various attributes on monuments, and principally on their coinage which is frequently the most survivable of ancient artefacts. Among such allegorical divinities was this personification of Sors (chance or hazard), which has sometimes been confused with Destiny or Fate. The Sortes Praenestiae, were tesserae, or tablets of oak inscribed with sentences of antique writing, and shut up in a casket of olive wood. It was believed that, under the secret guidance of the goddess Fortuna, Sors drew these lots by the hand of a child, and it was supposed to learn its fate by the reading of what was written on the tablets by one of the ministers called sortilege, or fortune-tellers. (background lifted from a Roma Numismatics auction)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 04:36:20 am »

yes i can see why you were drawn to this coin she has a beauty to behold  i just love it
 a wonderful coin  +++ +++ great addition

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: Carthago's Roman Republic Gallery Additions
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 10:39:51 pm »
very nice!  the two denarii are particularly attractive.

~ Peter

Offline labienus

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 12:52:12 pm »
60 asses is very, very beautiful. Some patina on it, no ? Looks gorgeous.
Best
Pierre

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 12:59:20 pm »
Quote from: labienus on March 04, 2013, 12:52:12 pm
60 asses is very, very beautiful. Some patina on it, no ? Looks gorgeous.
Best
Pierre

Thank you Pierre.  It just looks like that in the picture.  It's bright with lots of luster in hand.

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 01:02:59 pm »
Your collection is an inspiration for me.  Fantastic!
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 03:29:00 pm »
 JUST MIND BLOWING coins are you sure you havent got them from the museum LOL
 BEAUTIFUL they really are what coin collecting is about you are very lucky and must be very proud +++

Offline hill132

• Consul
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 11:48:09 pm »
Carthago.All I can say is WOW!

Doug Hill
Doug Hill
Campgates, Greek and Roman galleries
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10472

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 12:59:41 pm »
... are you sure you havent got them from the museum LOL

Why I have no idea what you're talking about, Helen, but am greateful for the kind compliments.

Thomas Crown   ;)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 01:10:01 pm »
Quote from: carthago on March 05, 2013, 12:59:41 pm
... are you sure you havent got them from the museum LOL

Why I have no idea what you're talking about, Helen, but am greateful for the kind compliments.

Thomas Crown   ;)

yes I WAS PAYING YOU A BIG COMPLIMENT when my friend goes and digs loads of medieval hammies up we all say on the detector site are you sure you havent been to the museum for them but the comment to you was not because of the quantity of coins but the great quality of each coin MUSEUM QUALITY is what i meant
 different countries seem to have different phrases and perhaps different sense of humours i hope you understand that i was in AWE of your coins  WOW and WOW again thanks for showing us these great examples as in my coin collecting world i dont see that many in this condition +++ +++

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 04:50:52 pm »
yes I WAS PAYING YOU A BIG COMPLIMENT when my friend goes and digs loads of medieval hammies up we all say on the detector site are you sure you havent been to the museum for them but the comment to you was not because of the quantity of coins but the great quality of each coin MUSEUM QUALITY is what i meant
 different countries seem to have different phrases and perhaps different sense of humours i hope you understand that i was in AWE of your coins  WOW and WOW again thanks for showing us these great examples as in my coin collecting world i dont see that many in this condition +++ +++

Hi Helen  - I was kidding!  I'm an American so we have a tendency to overestimate how funny we are, especially when we go up against the British who are the funniest people on the planet imo!

The Thomas Crown Affair was a movie with Steve McQueen in the 1960's remade with Pierce Brosnan more recently where Pierce played a businessman who steals a famous Monet from a museum.    I was playing off of your comment about them coming from a museum.   :evil:

I was trying to be cute!  I totally got your compliments and I'm grateful for you kind words.  +++

Chris

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 05:08:21 pm »

PHEW thanks for that dont want to go upsetting my forum friends  LOL     :evil: :evil: :evil:

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 11:36:24 am »
Hi Carthago, wow great collection of Republic !

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 09:25:34 pm »

Been working on my Photoshop skills, adding white backgrounds to some of my own photos and balancing the color/contrast.  Here's the latest and another one in my Imperatorial gallery.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-94114

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 09:39:30 pm »
OK, I lied.  One more today.  Getting this photoshop thing down and it's a bit addictive.  Dealer pic but had a dark grey background.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-94115

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 09:41:39 pm »
Very nice coins in your gallery

regards
 quadrans
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 09:44:19 am »
A new purchase just arrived in the mail.  A very common coin, many in great condition.  I just liked the look of this one and the toning

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-94522

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 08:53:31 am »
Added 3 very interesting new Republicans to my gallery that I just acquired in the Roma auction

M. Aurelius Cotta AR Denarius. Rome, 139 BC. 3.68g, 18mm, 6h. Helmeted head of Roma right, COTA below chin, denomination mark X behind / Hercules, holding club and reins, driving galloping biga of centaurs right, the centaurs each carrying branch; M. AVRELI below, ROMA raised on tablet in exergue. Crawford 229/1a; Sydenham 429; Aurelia 16.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-95225

L. Cassius Longinus AR Denarius. Rome, 63 BC. 3.99g, 19mm, 6h. Head of Vesta left, wearing veil and diadem, kylix behind, control mark before / LONGIN III V, voter left, dropping tablet marked ‘V’ into cista on right. Crawford 413/1; Sydenham 935.

This type refers to the Lex Cassia Tabellaria, which was proposed by the moneyer’s ancestor Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, and changed the Roman voting system to one of secret ballot.
Rate this file (No vote yet)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-95224

Furius Purpurio AR Denarius. Rome, 169-158 BC. 3.66g, 21mm, 6h. Helmeted head of Roma right, X behind / Luna in a biga right, PVR below horses, murex shell above, ROMA within linear frame in exergue. Crawford 187/1; Sydenham 424.

The murex shell symbol makes a punning allusion to the moneyer’s name. The shells, found mainly around the southern Mediterranean coastline, were left to decompose and the purple ink which resulted was used to make purple dye. This dye was highly valued throughout the ancient world, and used in Rome to colour the senatorial togas.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-95223

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 09:10:51 am »
I love the piece with the centaurs!  Is that from a particular myth of Hercules?

Thank you.  I don't know exactly.  From what I've read on some of his tales, he did have some interaction with Centuars but I don't know it enough to recite it at all.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity