Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Credit Suisse Zürich 1991  (Read 4038 times)

rmon

Credit Suisse Zürich 1991
« on: May 31, 2012, 05:01:29 pm »
A few days ago, I purchased this coin, from the last auction of NAC (The RBW Collection of Roman Republican Coins Part II)

In the description, it can be read "Privately purchased from Credit Suisse Zürich in August 1991"

I'm trying to find some publication from Credit Suisse, maybe a price list or auction, where the coin was published before, to try find more pedigree of this coin.

Thanks!  :)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Credit Suisse Zürich 1991
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 05:43:54 pm »
In the RBW sales, if it says "Privately Purchased" that means there was no price list or auction - it did not come from a published source such as a price list or auction because if it had, RBW would have written "from Credit Suisse Auction 124" or "from Credit Suisse FPL, 1991". "Privately Purchased" means there is no record apart from RBW's statement. RBW is a great pedigree but it would be a fruitless exercise to seek more provenance as "privately purchased" more or less excludes the possibility.

Nice exergue symbol!

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 10:49:51 am »
Credit Suisse used to have a coin shop similar to the online shop which the Swiss Bank Corporation (SBV, later UBS) used to have until 2009.
I think this coin must have been bought from that coin shop.
And because there was no internet back then, so the coin would not have been on an online website. there is little chance of you finding more information about the sale.
Can I use this for wildwinds ? :)

rmon

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 12:22:15 pm »
Many thanks to both for your posts.

Helvetica, of course that you can use it for Wildwinds!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity