Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The connection between Melqart, Ba'al, and Heracles  (Read 15259 times)

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
The connection between Melqart, Ba'al, and Heracles
« on: August 13, 2009, 01:07:15 pm »
I was looking at a worn example of a Phoenician half-shekel, known to many as the Jewish temple tax coin. I am intrigued at the fact that the obverse has a head of Melqart, the Phoenician god, seeing that Jewish tradition strictly forbade the use of images such as this. I suppose that the qualification of the silver content must have greatly outweighed using coins with the depiction of a god who was so intertwined into Judean history.

What I'm interested in is the connection between the Phoenician god Melqart, the Hellenistic deity Heracles and the Biblical god Ba'al. I understand that Ba'al was a title given to various gods meaning "lord", and that the Ba'al mentioned in the story of the showdown between Elijah and the priests of Ba'al refer to Ba'al Melqart of Tyre and Sidon.

As far as the Heracles connection, it would seem that the Phoenician god Melqart would predate the Greek devotion to Heracles. I wonder if the concept of Heracles developed out of the worship of Ba'al Melqart, or was Heracles just a Hellenized name for the same deity? Both Herodotus and Josephus refer to the Phoenician Melqart as Heracles.

Another theory equates Melqart to Ba'al Hammon, though modern scholarship seems to discredit this theory. Does anyone have any other information or references to the connection between these deities?

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: The connection between Melqart, Ba'al, and Heracles
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 01:15:05 pm »
Here are some notes in the Mythological Thread https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=25089.100 Please take a look under 'Melqart - Herakles'.

Best regards

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 01:28:37 pm »
In Carthage Melqart was one of the main gods even though his name was seldom found on inscriptions. But he is named as Herakles in a treaty between Hannibal and Philipp II of Makedonia. So it must be assumed that everywhere where in later times a Herakles-likeness was worshipped originally a Melqart cult was established!

Ba'al Hammon was the chief God of Carthage. Would you associate Ba'al Hammon with Melqart as being one in the same?

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 01:40:18 pm »
By the way, your thread on Coins of Mythological interest is absolutely mind-boggling. Thanks for the hours of labor you've put into researching and posting all that information. It's a great reference!

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 02:18:39 pm »
Thanks for your friendly words. To the question Ba'al Hammon = Melqart: rather not! Ba'al Hammon, from Ba'al chamman, means - according to Roscher - something like 'the fiery Ba'al'. So he was soon equalized as 'Ba'al of the sun' by the Greeks with Ammon or by the Romans as Juppiter Hammon. It's so to say 'another pair of shoes'. Melqart was rather connected to the sea. That is shown too by the Greek myth of Melikertes from Corinth who was saved by a dolphin. Melikertes is seen by many scholars as a Greek transcription of Melqart.

Best regards

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 02:29:23 pm »
'But he is named as Herakles in a treaty between Hannibal and Philipp II of Makedonia. So it must be assumed that everywhere where in later times a Herakles-likeness was worshipped originally a Melqart cult was established!'

I don't argue about the association of all these dieties but im fairly sure that Hannibal never met Philip II of Macedonia!

Brgds

Alex
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 02:40:22 pm »
Thanks for the hint! It was actually Philipp V, king of Macedonia, 238-179 BC. I have corrected it.

Best regards

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 04:53:08 pm »
The Tyrians originally appear to have worshipped Baal. There was an early Baal temple there, but unfortunately I have no details. Melkart is identified with Baal, but again I have no details. I don't think there's any reason to identigy him particularly with the Carthaginian Baal. Carthage was a long way away, and a Tyrian cult should be understood on its own terms. The identificatiion with Hercules is presumably a piece of Greek syncretism.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 02:58:22 am »
Here is my continued research on Melqart so far:

The name Melqart comes from "mlk" meaning king and "qrt" meaning city. Therefore the rendering would be "King of the city." The city is generally acknowledged to be that of Tyre. In Phoenician, he is known as mlkqrt bsr or "Melqart in Tyre." The earliest known mention of the god Melqart is found on the Aleppo stele from the ninth/eighth century B.C. in which Bir Hadad, king of Aram mentions him as a warrior god.

Melqart is identified with the Greek Heracles (Hercules), and almost without fail, the Hellenistic temples and altars dedicated to the worship of Heracles were originally that of the Phoenician cult of Melqart. One can certainly use the names of Heracles and Melqart interchangeably.

“A bilingual inscription from Malta (second century BCE), shows that Melqart/Heracles was specifically considered the bʿl ṣr, ‘Baal of Tyre’, or, as the Greek has it, its ἀρχηγέτης, ‘tutelary hero; eponymous ancestor’, of his own city. Epigraphical, archaeological and classical records prove also that Melqart had a remarkable role in the religious ideology of the commercial expansion of Tyrians westward throughout the Mediterranean world, and that his cult was very popular in all Phoenician colonies, from Cyprus to Malta, from Carthage to the whole of North Africa, from Sardinia to Iberia.” - S. RIBICHINI

Ezekiel makes a pronouncement against the king of Tyre in Ezekiel 28:1–19. Because the name Melqart can be translated “King of the city [of Tyre],” the passage refers to the human king and his deified counterpart interchangeably. Biblical scholars also equate this rendering as referring to the devil or Satan as the fallen one who became the tempter in the garden of Eden. Throughout the Old Testament scriptures, the manifestation of Ba’al (a general term for the several Canaanite gods simply meaning “lord” or “master”), specifically that of Ba’al Melqart of Tyre, became the antithesis of the God of Israel. To the devout Jews, the Phoenician Melqart and Greek Hercules were more than false gods. They were thought of and preached against as manifestations of the devil.

The Ba’al brought to Israel by Queen Jezebel, the Phoenician wife of King Ahab was Ba’al Melqart. Therefore we reasonably infer that the cult of Baal seen in the showdown on Mt. Carmel in 1 Kings 18:20–40 is that of Melqart. In the passage, Elijah mocks the festival of the annual egersis ("awakening"):
    "And it came to pass at noon that Elijah mocked them and said, 'Cry out loud: for he is a god; either he is lost in thought, or he has wandered away, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is sleeping and must be awakened.'"

“A trace of Melqart’s worship at Tyre may also be found in 2 Macc 4:18–20, which tells that during the second century BCE, every five years games were celebrated in Tyre in honour of the local Heracles, i.e. Melqart. Most probably the king was present at these games and the rulers or heads of neighbouring states, peoples and provinces sent representatives bearing rich gifts; sacrifices were also offered to Heracles (MORGENSTERN 1960:162–163; BONNET 1988:57–58).” - S. RIBICHINI

Reference taken from an article written by S. Ribichini Dictionary of deities and demons in the Bible DDD (2nd extensively rev. ed.) (p. 563).  (1999).

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 05:00:30 am »
Thanks for the extensive addition and the many details you have provided.

Jochen

Offline hannibal2

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 10:12:47 am »
Hello,

Here is a different view, sort of a heretic's view, on the Melqart question.

Below is an extract with an inscription where the name of Melqart appears (read phoenician from  right to left). Melqart is in five letters--a compound word--MLQ for Lord, and RT, pronounced 'art' meaning 'Land'. "Lord of the Land". It would appear to be a generic appellation for a deity.

Compare this to 'Ashtart'. This also appears to be a compound word; 'Asht' (or Ashet = giver of life) and RT. A 'Giver of life' of the Land.

I would appreciate hearing others' views on the matter, similar or otherwise.

regards

cr

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 11:44:55 am »
The inscription seems to be speaking specifically about a person named Abdel-melqart. The name Abdel means "servant of the.." from Abd meaning "servant" and Al meaning "the." Therefore the rendering of his name would be "Servant of [the] Melqart."

I must disagree with your translation of the name. It seems to be well established that the name Melqart comes from "malek" meaning king and "qrt" meaning city. The Canaanite word "Ba’al" is the general term for the several Canaanite gods meaning “lord.”

The DDD states of Ashtart, the female counterpart to Ba'al Melqart "The divine name Astarte is found in the following forms: Ugarit ʿṯtrt (‘Athtart’); Phoenician ʿštrt (‘Ashtart’); Hebrew ʿAštōret (singular); ʿAštārôt (generally construed as plural); Egyptian variously ʿsṯrt, ʿsṯrṯ, isṯrt; Greek Astartē. It is the feminine form of the masculine ʿṯtr (‘Athtar’, ‘Ashtar’) and this in turn occurs, though as the name of a goddess, as Akkadian Ishtar. The etymology remains obscure. It is probably, in the masculine form, the name of the planet Venus, then extended to the feminine as well."

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 05:14:23 pm »
Ezekiel makes a pronouncement against the king of Tyre in Ezekiel 28:1–19. Because the name Melqart can be translated “King of the city [of Tyre],” the passage refers to the human king and his deified counterpart interchangeably. Biblical scholars also equate this rendering as referring to the devil or Satan as the fallen one who became the tempter in the garden of Eden. Throughout the Old Testament scriptures, the manifestation of Ba’al (a general term for the several Canaanite gods simply meaning “lord” or “master”), specifically that of Ba’al Melqart of Tyre, became the antithesis of the God of Israel. To the devout Jews, the Phoenician Melqart and Greek Hercules were more than false gods. They were thought of and preached against as manifestations of the devil.

There are some interesting parallels with the Eden story in Genesis. This is neither referenced nor parallelled in any pre-exilic material, so the two may well be close in date. It's probably having a go at divine kingship on one level. Tyre was besieged by the Babylonians shortly after the fall of Jerusalem (586 BC). the siege lasted thirteen years according to Josephus, and ended in a peaceful surrender. If the passage was written during the siege, that would make sense as the author would have been expecting it to share Jerusalem's fate; archaeology confirms that the city was comprehensively burnt. Ezekiel 29:17-21 was presumably written after the siege, and shows the benefit of hindsight.

The idea that the passage refers to Satan was developed long after, in Christian times. In the Old Testament there are a few references to Satan, most importantly in Job, but he doesn't appear as God's enemy. In Job he's more like a secret policeman, going about the place testing people to see whether they really are loyal to God, and reporting back. In Zecharaiah he's like a prosecuting counsel, whose case is dismissed by the judge. The concept of rebel angels is found first in some of the non-canonical books, most obviously in the first part of 1 Enoch. If you happen to be a member of the Ethioopian Orthodox Church, of course, you'll find this in your Old Testament, but every other church leaves it out.
Robert Brenchley

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 05:30:35 pm »
The person named Abdelmelqart I think is Hamilkar Barka, the father of Hannibal. Hamilkar itself is hmlqrt = brother of Melqart.

Best regards

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 01:08:53 pm »
It's interesting that no one has ever heard of the Biblical epic showdown on Mount Carmel between Elijah the Prophet and Hercules! ;)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 07:50:31 pm »
Had Hercules been invented in Elijah's day? Whenever the story in Kings was written down, it really has to have originated in the northern kingdom (remember that before the Exile, there were two Israelite kingdoms), and so it has to go back before that kingdom fell to the Assyrians in 722 BC. I doubt whether there was much contact with Greece at that time. As for the date of Kings, the best suggestion I've come across is that it originated as part of an attempt to unify the people of the two kingdoms in Josiah's time, after the collapse of Assyria. That would put the 'first edition' towards the and of the 7th Century BC. The last, rather abbreviated, section would have been added around the time of the Exile, and the book continued to be edited long after. Essentially, though, it's long before Greek influence arrived in the Near East.
Robert Brenchley

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 03:01:28 am »
Had Hercules been invented in Elijah's day?

Though I said rather jokingly about the showdown of Elijah and Hercules, your question intrigued me, and I did a little research in the subject. What I found was that the Greek story of Heracles was being told in at least the 9th century BC, and possibly several hundred years earlier, with evidence of the origin of the worship of Heracles as a deity in the Mycenaean civilization. Homer, writing c. 850 BC makes mention of Heracles. Some scholars would place Homer as early as the Trojan War period (1194–1184 BC) as dated by Eratosthenes.

Clement mentions Heracles as a human king who was deified after his death, and later mythologized. He writes of the origin, "from the reign of Hercules in Argos to the deification of Hercules himself and of Asclepius there are comprised thirty-eight years, according to Apollodorus the chronicler: and from that point to the deification of Castor and Pollux fifty-three years: and somewhere about this time was the capture of Troy."

If this passage is to be taken literally then, "since Heracles ruled over Tiryns in Argos at the same time that Eurystheus ruled over Mycenae, and since at about this time Linus was Heracles' teacher, one can conclude, based on Jerome's date—in his universal history, his Chronicon—given to Linus' notoriety in teaching Heracles in 1264 BC, that Heracles' death and deification occurred 38 years later, in approximately 1226 BC."

Though this particular reference many be dubious, there is much evidence of the ancient origin of the worship of the Greek Heracles as being contemporary with the Phoenician god Ba'al Melqart and also of the Biblical mention of that god in 1 Kings. It is possible that Melqart and Heracles were considered one and the same deity from a very early time.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 12:33:30 pm »
It's 'possible', but merely because the two cults existed, it doesn't mean they were interacting in such a way as to lead to syncretism. There was undoubtedly a syncretism beteen Zeus and Yahweh in the 2nd Century BC, but the two cultures had been aware of each other long before, without any such tendency. Osiris and Apis were combined to produce Serapis around the same time. Syncretism is a product of specific circumstances, and I don't think they'd have been found in the Near East before Alexander's conquests.
Robert Brenchley

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 01:24:03 pm »
It would be interesting to know the origin and time frame of the beginning of the syncretism between the two cults. I haven't seen any information on that subject in any of the references in my library or online.

Though I stated earlier that it is possible that Melqart and Heracles were considered one and the same deity from a very early time, we do not know when. And, as you have pointed out, a "possibility" should not be taken as conclusive evidence.

Thanks for your input on this subject!

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 06:19:47 pm »
There probably isn't any information available, or I'm sure the ABD - I seem to remember you referring to it recently - would have something. What you probably need is a study of Greek syncretism; there has to be something out there, but I don't have anything particularly relevant. As far as I can make out, it was something that happened when cults wanted to integrate into the Hellenistic world, and looked for ways to link their worship into it.
Robert Brenchley

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 09:18:52 pm »
I referred to the DDD, Ribichini's Dictionary of Deities and Demons, but you'll have to refresh my memory on which reference the ABD refers to.

Offline hannibal2

• Consul
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 09:43:13 am »
First: Thank you for the replies. Also sorry for not pointing to the url of the extract re Melqart. The source is a one page from Jstor and may be quite relevant to this thread. It is here:   http://www.jstor.org/stable/30103207. You may find it interesting.

In the case the Ashtart (to use one name out of many) it appears to be a synthesis of a concept from an earlier era, embodying fecundity and sustenance – a form of mother-provider- . Also with no small connexion with the cereals.

A subject mentioned later in this thread is ‘syncretism’ between two cults. Actually a case has already been made proposing that these have probably emerged from a common and more ancient source. I refer to C H Gordon’s book “Homer and the bible”. A specific aspect of this that is of particular interest to myself is the parallelism between the ‘life cycle’ of Pan (and his emasculation) and Samson’s (and his undoing).

Again, any info will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

cr

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 05:51:37 pm »
I referred to the DDD, Ribichini's Dictionary of Deities and Demons, but you'll have to refresh my memory on which reference the ABD refers to.

Anchor Bible Dictionary. I may have been thinking of someone else.

There have been a few scholars who have argued that Old Testament stories derived from Greece, but they haven't managed to convince may people. Doubtless many of these stories do share common roots though, at some point. Storis of sexual relationships with divine beings, for instance, are known from both Greek and Near Eastern sources. It would be foolish to deny any relationship between the two, but that's a long way from supposing a direct relationship.
Robert Brenchley

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 08:22:15 pm »

Anchor Bible Dictionary. I may have been thinking of someone else.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I have that one on the shelf somewhere. I'll have to check it out. I read in one reference, (I can't remember which one now) that the Eilijah's mocking of the Ba'al god was directly referencing the annual egersis ("awakening") and has parallels with the myth of the 12 labors of Heracles. (The name Hercules, you will recall, is the Roman name of the same).

Though not directly stated, the assumption was that the two cults had already become known as one in the same from as early as the 7th century B.C., not because of the Hellenization of Phoenicia to Greek culture (which happened much later), but rather the early spread of the influence of Phoenician culture throughout the whole of the Mediterranean as the world's largest trading civilization at the time. The cult of Heracles may very well have had it's roots in the worship of Melqart, spread throughout the known world by Phoenician traders.

Again, this is far from fact. But, nevertheless, an interesting theory to ponder. I'll keep searching for more references to this topic.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 04:04:10 am »
It could be, but I don't know where you'd start to look for real evidence. Obviously, the Phoenicians were in contact with both, and could have influenced, or been influenced by, either or both.

The story of Elijah's competition with the Baal priests could have paralels in Greek ritual, I don't know. To say it was 'referencing' it may be going too far, as it makes assumptions about which was 'original'. The link with the labours of Herakles sounds a bit implausible, at least on the face of it. He did his labours as a penance for killing his family. Admittedly the framing narrative is younger than the stories of the labours, which could have evolved in another context altogether.

In the story of Elijah and the Baal priests, the initiative comes from the humans iunvolved, not from the gods. Essentially, it's an act of magic, with each side pressurising its god to produce the required rain, by offering a sacrifice. Underneath it is the assumption that only Yahweh is any good as a sky god, reflecting an exclusivism you dont find in Greek religion.

We have fragmentary texts from Ras Shamra (Ugarit) which suggest that the Baal cult involved an annual cycle where Baal died, and rose again. There could be a reference to that here, but the Ras Shamra tablets are dated around 1400 BC, and it's risky to assume that the cult remained the same over the intervening centuries! There is a clear link though, as one might expect; it just shouldn't be pushed too far. One of the texts has:

Moreover Baal will send abundance of his rain,
Abundance of moisture with snow;
He will utter his voice in the clouds,
(He will send) his flashing to earth with lightning.

In the story, that's exactly what Yahweh does, and Baal can't do.
Robert Brenchley

All coins are guaranteed for eternity