Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Silver Hungarian? #1 Need Help  (Read 953 times)

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
Silver Hungarian? #1 Need Help
« on: July 11, 2007, 06:20:27 pm »

This was sold as Hungarian Medieval Silver, there are some similar to this in the crusader book i have but the coat of arms is different....on this coin the coat of arms has two eagles in upper right and lower left quadrants, horizontal bars in other quads of shield...reverse is cross of Jerusalem?  Scale is in mm, and help greatly appreciated...I am nearly 100% ignorant of these coin types except as they relate to crusader issues...b
Detritus, detritus, detritus...ad infinitum...

Cibalia

Re: Silver Hungarian? #1 Need Help
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 12:53:34 pm »
Hi Irish
this is a denar of King Sigismund of Luxembourg, who was king of Hungary 1387-1437. The cross is known as a patriarchal cross.
I have these on my site http://calverley.info/finds

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 02:11:36 pm »
thanks very much i am going to site now....i just found it myself before coming to put info here, the only sigismund i had seen were the saracen head...my coin has two eagles on sheild, a variation i guess, the history is very interesting now that I am getting it...b

Cibalia

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 04:02:43 pm »
The saracen's head coin is Louis I (Lajos). Earlier than Sigismund, Louis ruled 1342-1382.

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 08:33:55 pm »
ok, i am getting there, but new coins are always confusing.thanks for your help

b

All coins are guaranteed for eternity