Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "What a pity" OTD  (Read 2300 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
"What a pity" OTD
« on: February 22, 2007, 08:07:57 pm »
Hi,

I have on my desk here a bag of coins that are too poor or damaged to make it into my collection trays, yet are too nice in their own way to part with. For example the bag contains a Kaulonia silver stater that cost just £1 (and that might make it into this thread if I can get a good enough photo of it).

There is also this coin; a dupondius of Domitian (or given it's state of preservation an as?????).

Obverse I think is IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM PM TRP VIII CENS PER PP with a reverse of COS XIIII LVD SAEC FEC SC, the victimarius slaying a held bull with pipers behind and an altar in front visible (RIC 382; BMC p.395, *; Cohen 89 (Paris) I believe).

An interesting reverse on a coin rescued from a junk box containing pre decimal pennies and assorted foreign coins at an antiques fair for 15 pence five years ago!

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: "What a pity" OTD
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 08:29:46 pm »
Looks like the same dies as the Paris spec., pl. CXIII, 465.
Curtis Clay

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 07:50:07 am »
How can a coin break like this? Was it deliberately halved because somebody needed an as for the cervisia vending machine, or was it somebody doing his own private damnatio Memoriae here?

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 08:22:54 am »
Ibn the absence of evidence to the contrary, I'd assume an accidental break. Coins which have been deliberately cut have usually been done with a chisel or something similar, leaving a straight cut. I'm quite convinced this one was accidental.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Ghengis_Jon

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 08:54:48 am »
Hey!  I thought I was the only one to use the tacky pink background for coin shots.  My lawyers will be calling you..... ;D

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 04:19:47 pm »
Although interior decorating students are taught first off the mantra, "Pink and Green should never be seen", some tints of red do look good with some off-shades of green, at least in photographs (we aren't doing houses or offices).  And once I deliberately put pale cyan (of all icky hues) behind an As, to show the hole through it emphatically.
But more ad rem: what if (as seems very likely on Robert's coin) the coins that broke incorporated major impurities that caused structural weakness, so that stepping on them or even dropping them could make them break?
Pat L.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 05:41:42 pm »
I have a Claudius II with a die crack running almost parallel to the faces, which gives it precisely such a weakness. I've always suspected such a problem to be the cause of the break in my coin.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity