Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ptolemy VI AE without centering dimple - is this o.k.?  (Read 1058 times)

cogito

Ptolemy VI AE without centering dimple - is this o.k.?
« on: January 10, 2006, 06:18:25 pm »
This was initially posted to the fakes board, but I thought I might get a better answer from fellow grecophiles.

The following coin was sold to me today, but now I'm wondering about it's authenticity after cooler reflection.  All of the Ptolemy VI AEs that I have seen have a centering or lathe dimple; whereas, this coin does not.  Does the lack of a centering dimple preclude it from being authenic?  The coin does have a beveled edge, which is consistent with large Ptolemaic AEs...so it at least has that going for it.  I'm still curious about the apparent lack of a centering dimple.

Here's the measurement particulars given by the seller: 28 mm; 16.1 gm  And, attributed by the seller to Svoronos 1384; BMC 6,89; Sear 7903.  I would note that the Svononos 1384 attribution given by the seller describes the type, but not the exact die.

Thanks,
Jeff

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Ptolemy VI AE without centering dimple - is this o.k.?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 09:55:08 pm »
It does match the Svoronos attribution.

AE 28/27 mm.; Isis head r., corwned with grain, dotted border
Rev: :Greek_Pi: TO :Greek_Lambda: EMAIOY  on left, BA :GreeK_Sigma: I :Greek_Lambda: E :Greek_Omega: :GreeK_Sigma: on right, eagel with spread wings standing left on thunderbolt, ( :Greek_Pi_2:  A monogram) in lelft field, dotted border.

The one illustrated by Svoronos does not have the centering dimple on the reverse.

Lawrence Woolslayer

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 10:52:59 pm »
The BMC reference is BMC Ptolemies, p 89, #6, and pl XXI, #3.
[Listed as Ptolemaeus Euergetes II or Philometor]
Minted at Paphos, Cyprus
The only one depicted in the BMC plates has centering dots both sides.

This coin looks OK but all those I've seen have a hint of a dot. By blowing-up this coin 500% in PSP I can see a smudge both sides could be the centering dot or just about anything else: however, they are both at center, so perhaps yours has them after all.

cogito

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 11:17:37 pm »
Thanks, guys!  I knew fellow Greek board lurkers would come through!

Larry, upon closer inspection, I think you are right.  There appears to be a faint centering dimple on the reverse, which is well hidden in the eagle's plumage. 

I'll post an update on this thread when I have the coin in hand.  I'm fairly comfortable that it's authentic...it was just the apparent absence of centering dimples that made me question it.   

Warm regards,
Jeff

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 04:46:21 pm »
I can imagine that, if it was minted at Cyprus, not only the style but also the production technique might have been different than at Alexandria, and maybe they didn't have such prominent centration dimples there.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity