Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Late Era Roman pt 4 help identify  (Read 248 times)

Offline Alan M3

• Praetorian
Late Era Roman pt 4 help identify
« on: December 07, 2022, 05:21:11 pm »
Last one I apologize

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
Re: Late Era Roman pt 4 help identify
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 05:39:25 pm »
It's either Constans (DN FL CONSTANS AVG) or Constantius II (D N FL CONSTANTIVS P F AVG) but the legend is not completely clear to me; though I am leaning more towards Constans. The reverse is SECVRITAS REI P; Securitas standing facing, legs crossed, head turned right, holding sceptre in right hand, left elbow leaning on column. It was struck in Rome circa A.D. 337- 340.

After the death of Constantine on 22 May 337, there was an interregnum of some three months before his three sons were proclaimed Augusti on 9 Sept 337. It was during these three months that “The Great Massacre” occurred, when most of the other male members of Constantine’s family and their supporters were killed. During this period all the mints continued producing the GLORIA EXERCITVS coins except Rome, which was controlled by Constans. In Rome a new type was issued—SECVRITAS REI PVB. Constans apparently wanted the citizens to believe that the security of the Empire had been protected by the massacre.
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Alan M3

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 07:06:43 pm »
Last one I apologize

Wow great history Victor! Does the fact it is a historical issue make it more valuable to collectors?

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 07:33:22 pm »
A lot of coins have historical significance. This type is a bit more scarce than some late Roman bronze, but would only interest a few collectors.
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity