Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unkown, small coin with radiate.  (Read 288 times)

Offline Phil A

• Praetorian
Unkown, small coin with radiate.
« on: November 24, 2022, 08:43:45 pm »
Coin is 1.3 G and 13mm.
Obverse bust with radiate. Can't make out Legend.
Reverse appears to be a figure.
Thanks in advance for any help

Phil

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
Re: Unkown, small coin with radiate.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 09:02:32 pm »
Given the crudeness of the bust, I would suspect that it is a barbarous radiate (i.e., imitative).

Offline Phil A

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 11:29:27 pm »
Thanks for the fast reply. I know nothing about Barbarous imitative so my first thought upon seeing the radiate was LRB. After using better magnification, I was able to see disjointed, illegible lettering on the reverse that looks nothing like Roman. I was always fascinated by ancient imitatives, and it would please me greatly if this turns out to be the first one in my collection.
Thanks again. Phil

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 08:19:20 am »
Given the lack of a beard this is likely an imitation of a Tetricus II coin - try searching his types to see which reverse type is being imitated.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Phil A

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 09:59:15 pm »
Thank for the lead SC. I believe it attempts to imitate RIC 272. 
 Phil

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 09:34:52 pm »
Still a 1500 year old coin and a wonderful addition to your collection.....  You now have a barbarous coin...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity