Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Theotoke boethei  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Theotoke boethei
« on: September 28, 2021, 12:53:52 pm »
I'm having a piece of jewelry made for my initiation into the Equestrian Order of the Knights of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem.  It is a ring, and, like the Byzantine seal I wrote about in another thread, features a man-faced bull seal (which I'm having engraved with various Christian icons as my personal seal).  On either side of the ring I want two things--on one side, a Jerusalem cross, and on the other, the Theotoke boethei monogram.  My question is, does anyone have a clear, schematic picture of the monogram?  I found this attached one online but it is a bit too stylized.  And all the others I found are on actual seals, so I don't want my jeweler to have to extrapolate from those.  I do not have a large Byzantine library but my guess is such a clear, schematic image exists out there.  Any help greatly appreciated.

Nick

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Theotoke boethei
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 01:07:15 pm »
I suppose "Seals" might have been a better category!

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 01:11:52 pm »
Courtesy of Gert.

Simon sent one as well but with a squared-off central Theta. 

Thanks, guys, much appreciated.  I'll post developments as my jeweler makes progress.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 09:54:40 am »
Look forward to seeing it.

Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity