Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Aurelian, minor variety of VSV-denarius  (Read 466 times)

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
Aurelian, minor variety of VSV-denarius
« on: September 27, 2021, 03:48:59 pm »
Unless I am missing something, this is an unattested combination of obv. legend (IMP C …) and bust type (cuirassed without paludamentum):

Aurelian (270 – 275)
Rome, officina B, Issue 10
Late 274
IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG; Laureate and cuirassed bust right, seen from front.
VICTORI - A AVG; Victory advancing left, holding wreath in right hand, palm branch in left. B in left field, V S V in exergue.
2,20 g. 18 mm ↑↑

Cf. MER-RIC: https://ric.mom.fr/en/search/advanced?tempRIC=&asmSelect0=&asmSelect1=&asmSelect2=&asmSelect3=&asmSelect4=&asmSelect5=&Denomination=Denarii&asmSelect6=&Titulature=IMP+C+AVRELIANVS+AVG&asmSelect7=&asmSelect8=&asmSelect9=&asmSelect10=&asmSelect11=&BustDescription=&ReverseDescription=&Note=&Reference=&page=1&mod=result

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Aurelian, minor variety of VSV-denarius
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 04:41:01 am »
Looks very similar to and potentially a double die match to this one I owned a few years ago.

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 12:20:48 pm »
Hi Maridvnvm,

Thanks for posting that image. The two coins look very similar, indeed, but they're not die-matched (the differences are very subtle, though). We'll see if this type will be included in the revised RIC V-edition.

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 04:13:56 am »
Dr. Estiot was provided with images of my coin many years ago so I hope so.

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 05:55:37 am »
I submitted my coin when I couldn’t find the type on the MER-RIC website. I wonder if the database is still being updated.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity