Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hadrian Sestertius travel series  (Read 1003 times)

Offline kc

• Caesar
Hadrian Sestertius travel series
« on: July 11, 2020, 01:36:18 pm »
Got a Hadrian Sestertius with RESTITVTORI GALLIAE

Between the years 119 and 136 AD, the emperor Hadrian travelled throughout the Roman Empire, visiting various provinces to take stock of his inheritance and calm the disquiet which had arisen in the later years of Trajan's reign. His travels can be divided into two major episodes. The first tour was designed to shore-up Rome's northern borders and began sometime around 119 AD when Hadrian first visited the provinces of Gauland Germania Inferior and Superior.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-163958

Regards
kc

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Re: Hadrian Sestertius travel series
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 05:45:20 am »
Hi kc, another great addition to your collection.

To me the portraits on the coinage of Hadrian,along with those of the Flavian emperors, are among the best ever produced. On your sestertius he looks very much the calm and capable emperor. Just what his subjects would have liked to think I am sure. Although he was clearly intelligent and capable, I don't think Hadrian was as calm in reality as this beautiful portrait would suggest!

Best regards,

Steve

Offline kc

• Caesar
Re: Hadrian Sestertius travel series
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 05:31:29 pm »
Hello Steve,

yes I agree, the bronzes of Vespasian/Titus/Hadrian and Trajan have the best portraits and a range of variants. I think each portrait style was a special way of propaganda.

Thanks for your posting.

Regards
kc

All coins are guaranteed for eternity