Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gratian solidus transfer die fake?  (Read 503 times)

Offline traveler

• Consul
Gratian solidus transfer die fake?
« on: December 04, 2019, 01:29:22 am »
Hello all,

I just noticed these two solidi of Gratian currently on sale. They are a double die match, and both share the same scratches or bumps on the reverse left field.

Also the obverse 12h is almost identically weakly struck.

I was thinking these are transfer die fakes? Or could it be that the reverse scratches are due to die damage?

I could not find a record in either Forum fakes reports or Forgery Network.

Offline traveler

• Consul
Re: Gratian solidus transfer die fake?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 03:37:42 am »
Hello all,

Sorry it looks like the obverses aren't exact die matches. The tassels of the rosette diadem are different for example. The size of the obverse inscription also appears to be subtly different, and the dot right on top of Gratian's head is also of a slightly different design.

Having said that both obverses still share extremely similar features around the circumference, except that the second coin has weaker details.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 08:01:54 am »
You're right that the obverses aren't a match. The problem with the reverse is, I think, a deteriorating die. The damage is more advanced on the top one than on the bottom one.
Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline traveler

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 07:55:59 pm »
Thanks Richard. It's good to hear they're not fakes.

Offline byzcoincoll

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 05:18:46 pm »
The wear on both coins looks quite convincing, i.e. original as far as one can judge just from the photos.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity