Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: possible fake tiberius  (Read 751 times)

Offline Gestin R

• Legionary
possible fake tiberius
« on: January 31, 2019, 03:33:00 pm »
saw this Tiberius tribute penny while I was scrolling through and thought it might be fake. let me know what you think

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: possible fake tiberius
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 04:44:53 pm »
From the photo alone, without weight and a large sharp image, I would say it looks like a cast fake....to me.
You should provide those. Let's see what others think,
PeteB

Offline Harry G

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 09:55:30 am »
Hi,

I agree with @Akropolis; it certainly looks like a cast fake. It appears to have a soapy/bubbled surface, and there may even be a casting line around the edge. The patina also looks very dark and a bit patchy, so almost certainly artificial.

Regards,
Harry
Please check out my gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6793

Have a nice day!

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 01:58:29 pm »
It looks like a cast fake to me also.

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 02:02:41 pm »
yes bad feeling

soapy details
metal looks wrong 
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Gestin R

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 01:32:52 am »
Id like to thank everyone for leaving there responses. I've talked with the owner about authenticity and he said he never did it since someone told him it would cost a ton of money and I directed him to several places like ngc who still only would have to pay around 25$.He never did respond back to this however.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity