Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek? Erythrae, Ionia coin  (Read 726 times)

Bob B

Greek? Erythrae, Ionia coin
« on: July 10, 2017, 04:18:00 pm »
Hello fellow coin enthusiasts,

I have recently come across this beautiful coin, which I believe to be of Greek decent. From what I have found in my search, the back is nearly identical to Erythrae, Ionia coins. These have the "EPY" engraved, followed by the club and bow. The only issue is that I cant find an exact match for the face on the coin, and I also havent found a match for the other engraving which reads "ΔIOPEIOHΣ". I believe this translates to "Dioreithes" which was an ancient Greek city and also the name of a ruler from that time.

Does anyone have information that may support my findings? If not, any insight or additional input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all,
Bob

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Greek? Erythrae, Ionia coin
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 04:23:31 pm »

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 08:05:56 pm »
Based solely on the images, I'd be surprised if this is not some sort
of jeweller's copy/reproduction, perhaps even from a genuine original.

Also, "ΔIOΠEIΘHΣ"is the correct rendering of the Magistrate's name.

Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Bob B

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 11:02:19 am »
Hi shanxi & Walter, thank you both very much for the feedback! I didn't realize I had deciphered the text incorrectly. This is a huge help- great to finally get some additional information about this coin.

Walter, is there something specific about the image that leads you to believe this is a reproduction? Would that also be why I cant seem to find an exact match for the face, but I can find an exact match for the back? I have attached some additional photos of higher quality.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Best,
Bob

Online djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 11:41:12 am »
The coin has the soft, rounded features of a cast rather than the crisp lines of a struck original.  It seems a modern cast for use in jewelry to me also.

Bob B

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 12:24:20 pm »
Brilliant- thank you djmacdo for the additional input.

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 12:37:57 pm »
The coin has the soft, rounded features of a cast rather than the crisp lines of a struck original.  It seems a modern cast for use in jewelry to me also.

Mac beat me to it! :)

Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

All coins are guaranteed for eternity