Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sinope Project  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Sinope Project
« on: July 15, 2015, 08:07:14 am »
Dear Roman provincial enthusiasts,

I am in the process of gathering records of Sinope Roman provincials for a corpus that a student of Dr. Michel Amandry is currently building.  So far the corpus contains at least 649 pieces!   Would any members here like to contribute to the project?  Any Roman provincial of Sinope is welcome, whether published or unpublished. 

Please provide decent photos with any coin submissions, along with the diameter, weight, and die axis (if possible) of each coin.  You can post the coins in this thread or are welcome to submit the data directly to me through the e-mail address in my Forvm profile. 

I would like to wrap this project up soon, so please hurry!  Many thanks in advance for any help or interest received.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Sinope Project
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 07:26:59 pm »
Hi Mark,

Here is the only Sinope provincial in my collection.

http://www.coinproject.com/coin_detail.php?coin=302748

Please let me know when the book is available for purchase.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 08:03:14 pm »
Dear Tom and board,

Wonderful coin! 

With such a huge corpus, you would think the author intends to publish his thesis as a book, but I can't say for certain yet what form it will take.  What I do know is that he needs to finish his work soon before he can "defend" it in October. 

To the board:  I should have added, when someone is submitting a coin, please indicate how the owner would like to be credited/identified (e.g. Tom Mullally coll.; BCD coll.; German private coll.; etc.).  Of course, if someone wants to include some provenance info for good measure, that would be welcome as well.   

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 08:10:11 pm »
It is a series of DATED provincial coins, thus quite a nice area of interest! And they are not common!
PeteB

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 11:13:48 am »
My only Sinope provincial is from a printed catalogue, so may already be known to the French researcher.

Diadumenian, AE 29-31, 15.99g, 7h

M OPEL DIADVMENIANV[S CAES] Bust draped and cuirassed r., seen from front, head bare.

C I F SINO - P - ANN CCL around, XI upside down in exergue, Serapis seated l. wearing calathos, extending r. hand over Cerberus at his feet, scepter in l. hand.

Ex Münz Zentrum Koeln 48, April 1983, lot 81. I removed some deposits from the coin after receiving it.

Only one comparable specimen is reported by Rec. Gén. 144a, in the collection of Archduke Mikailovitch, unfortunately not illustrated. That coin is stated to have had date ANN CCL - II, with the II in exergue explained as being a mistake for XII. I suspect tooling or a misreading of the same date as on my coin, with XI not II in the exergue.

Coin may be cited as in "Coll. C.L. Clay, Oak Park, Illinois".
Curtis Clay

Offline sagit

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 12:27:43 pm »
I had 3 Sinope coins in my collection, photos are here:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=83806.0
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=86407.0
All of them are now sold. But I think I made better photos than CNG  :)

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 01:20:12 am »
Dear Friends,

Thank you for all the submissions and data so far received.  They were very appreciated! 

I am finally nearing the end of this project.  This will likely be my last call for submissions before my file is sent.  Those who still wish to contribute should do so this week, if possible.     

Since the thesis will apparently include a die catalog, readers are again encouraged to submit information on any Roman provincial of Sinope, not just those that are unpublished or extremely rare.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan   

All coins are guaranteed for eternity