Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nemesis: Nikopolis (Septimius), Alexandria (Antoninus), Antiochia (Lucius Verus)  (Read 477 times)

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
Three depictions of Nemesis: different attributes, eras, and regions. Quite varied and challenging – but that’s what’s interesting about them!

1.   Nikopolis. Septimius. Wheel, scales, cubit rule.
2.   Alexandria. Antoninus. Griffin, wheel.
3.   Antiochia (Caria). Lucius Verus. Wings, chiton (?), cubit (?).

Nemesis is usually described as a god of “equilibrium,” responsible for “righteous apportionment” (Wetterstrom [LINK]). She sometimes blended with other deities: Aequitas/Justitia (justice) and Tyche/Fortuna (fortune). (Maybe Victory?)

I believe her relationship to “vengeance” and “retribution” may still be debated, but in Stevenson’s (1889) Dictionary of Roman Coins [LINK via Numiswiki], the entry begins:

Nemesis, avenger of crimes and punisher of wicked doers. The divinity thus named and adored by the Greeks was also by the Romans held in high respect for the equitable and impartial severity of her chastisements….”

Happy to hear thoughts on that....

1. NIKOPOLIS (MOESIA), SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS.
Attributes: Wheel, scales, cubit rule.

This reverse was used by many Severan rulers at Nikopolis (though the tools in her hands vary). The right-facing Septimius types are more common; several examples have been posted to this board. This type is scarcer.

(I didn’t want to clutter the Nikopolis-Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov-Addenda threads, but I hope Jochen sees this. It’s Varbanov 2558 (this coin illustrated), but I don’t know if this type (or specimen) is in Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov.)

Moesia Inferior, Nikopolis ad Istrum. Septimius Severus AE Diassarion (18mm, 5.26g), c. 193-211 CE.
Obv: AV KAI CE CEYHΡOC PER. Laureate head left.
Rev: NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠΡOC ICTΡ. Nemesis standing, holding scales & scepter [cubit?], wheel at foot to l.
Ref: Varbanov, Greek Imperial Coins, vol I, 2558 (this example) [also illustrated on Wildwinds].
Prov: Slg. Karl H. Kluger (Kölner Münzkabinett 117 [28 Oct 2022], 182); Slg. Peter Fischer (Aarburg, d. 2013) (Peus 419 (27 Apr 2017), 543); Münzen & Medaillen GmbH 20 (10 Oct 2006), 125 [NOT Righetti section]; Gorny & Mosch 130 (2004), 1780.

2. ALEXANDRIA (EGYPT), ANTONINUS PIUS.
Attributes: Griffin (as Nemesis), wheel.

Kerry Wetterstrom wrote a nice essay about Nemesis-as-Griffin on Alexandrian coinage: “Nemesis as Portrayed on Roman Coinage” (CNR XV.1. [1990], p. 43 [LINK]). (See also: Getty’s commentary on this Mosaic from Roman Syria [LINK].)

Beginning in Roman Egypt, perhaps in the reign of Hadrian, Nemesis was often depicted as a Griffin. The wheel serves to differentiate Nemesis-Griffins from ordinary Griffins. Judging from numismatic evidence, Alexandria may have even had a temple to Nemesis with a statue of her as Griffin.

Egypt, Alexandria. Antoninus Pius AE Drachm (34mm, 23.79g, 12h), dated 150/1 CE.
Obv: ΑVΤ Κ Τ ΑΙΛ ΑΔΡ ΑΝΤƱΝΙΝΟϹ ϹƐΒ ƐVϹ. Laureate head left, with slight drapert.
Rev: L ΙΔ. Griffin (Nemesis) seated right, paw on wheel.
Ref: Kampann & Ganschow 35.511 (this coin illustrated) = RPC (VI.4) 14196, ex. 2 [LINK].
Prov: Virginia Ruzicka [1915-1984] Collection (Malter 28 [8 Dec, 1984], 460); Kerry K. Wetterstrom Coll, Part I (CNA 12 [26 Sep 1990], 213); “MorrisCollection [Phil Peck] (Heritage 61151 [26 Jan 2020), 97082); Al Kowsky Coll. (CNG e 483 [6 Jan 2021], 357).

3. ANTIOCHIA (CARIA), LUCIUS VERUS.
Attributes: Wings, chiton (?), bridle (?), cubit (?).
UPDATE: After Jochen's reply, I believe that Nemesis is actually spitting into her chiton! I had forgotten about the "spitting gesture," but it works for the other Carian Antiochian Nemeses, too. How cool!

This final example is more enigmatic. RPC lists several Nemesis reverses for Antiochia: [LINK] for 5 types. The attributes are described somewhat tentatively, usually as chiton and bridle. (I don't know why Nemesis holds those.) Some entries give “cubit,” some don’t, though all depictions appear the same.

I wonder if the winged Nemesis means she is associated with Victory here?

(Apologies for photo quality!)

Caria, Antiochia. Lucius Verus AE Hemiassarion (16.5mm, 2.93g, 5h), c. 161-169 CE.
Obv: ΑV ΚΑΙ Λ ΒΗΡΟϹ. Laureate head right.
Rev: ΑΝΤΙοΧƐΩΝ. Winged Nemesis, plucking chiton (?), holding cubit (?) and/or bridle (?).
Ref: RPC (IV.2) 11539, ex. 3 (this coin) [LINK]
Prov: Ex Henry Clay Lindgren (1914-2005) Collection (unpublished), with his envelope.

“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Dear Curtis, many thanks for your pictures. Nemesis is a deity that is really worth dealing with. Here I have a few additions:

Nemesis with scales is a typical syncretic deity. I would rather call her Nemesis-Aequitas.

(1) Another example of syncretism is Claudius' Pax-Nemesis. Raising the edge of the robe to the mouth symbolises spitting into her bosom (spuere in sinum). It is apotropaic in nature. Altogether this Pax-Nemesis symbolizes self-restraint in victory.

(2) This gesture is also shown on the following coin of Macrinus from Nicopolis.

(3) On the next coin of Macrinus the divisions of the measuring rod are clearly visible. Quite the opposite to the following coin of

(4) Elagabal. The hook at the upper end of the staff is clearly visible. Pick writes: Certainly an instrument for chastisement. I think it is a goad.

(5) A bridle Nemesis is holding on coins of Commodus from Nikopolis too. A bridle is a typical instrument for educational purposes.

Best regards
Jochen

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
Jochen, thank you for that! I had completely forgotten about her "spitting gesture" (how interesting!), but I believe that is what she's doing on the Lucius Verus from Caria, Antiochia.

RPC describes many of the Antiochia Nemesis reverses as "plucking chiton" but surely that is her "spitting into her chiton" (tunic)! So glad you reminded of this. That coin has instantaneously become one my favorite Provincials! Nemesis spitting into her lovely gown!

It seems to fit for the other Antiochia Nemeses too (I finally got the LINK to work, giving 5 types: "https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/search/browse?q=antioch+nemesis").

That notion of "Pax-Nemesis symbolizes self-restraint in victory" is fascinating. Self-restraint in victory isn't something I would associate with Romans or many ancient cultures, but if they feared Nemesis, that would be wise. It's interesting because that's almost the opposite of what many people now think of Nemesis (vengeance, retribution), but that's only because they are forgetting the reason for retribution is to restore "balance" and "equilibrium." So it must be tempered with restraint.

Looking at other examples, I do see that this imagery (winged Nemesis) is frequently described as Pax-Nemesis, rather than Victory-Nemesis, as I had originally wondered.

I have not tried to read up on it, so this is all simply my conjecture: I notice some mentions of "Victory-Nemesis" in ACSearch for both RPC and RIC coinage [LINK]. It would make sense for "restraint in battle victory" -- but so would Pax. Does Pax usually have wings? I wonder if she has attributes of all three (Victory-Pax-Nemesis)?
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

All coins are guaranteed for eternity