Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Egypt, Alexandria: Only known Severus Alexander Year 7 Elpis Tetradrachm  (Read 541 times)

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
As far as I can tell, this type was virtually unknown until 1999, despite the coin having been in Giovanni Dattari's (1858-1923) collection over 100 years ago. He acquired it after the publication of his 1901 catalog, so it remained unpublished until 1999, when Savio published the pencil rubbings of 12,500 of Dattari's Alexandrian coins (DS 12335 / 9892bis = this coin illustrated). Keith Emmett published his Alexandrian Coins in 2001, referencing it as type 3101 (7). (And now RPC VI 10362 [LINK].)

New Provincial types aren't always important, but it seems like this one may be relevant to contemporary events in interesting ways....

Egypt, Alexandria. Severus Alexander (Aug., 222-235 CE) BI Tetradrachm (24mm, 12.44g, 12h). Struck 227/8 CE (Year 7).
Obv: Α ΚΑΙ ΜΑΡ ΑΥ ϹƐΥ ΑΛƐΞΑΝΔΡΟϹ. Laureate, draped, cuirassed bust r.
Rev: L – Z. Elpis l., holding flower, raising skirt.
Refs: Dattari-Savio 12335 / DS 9892bis (this coin illustrated) = RPC VI Online 10362 (this coin illustrated) [LINK] = Emmet 3101 (7) (this coin).
Provenance: Ex-Giovanni Dattari (1858-1923) Collection; HJB (inv. # cc33653, n.d., but 19 Aug 2019); unknown dealer (inv. # 779 - HZHQANUSB, n.d., [LINK] anyone recognize?); CNG EA 505 (1 Dec 2021), Lot 361 (corr., Dattari); Rocky Mountain Collection;
Current Disposition: Curtis JJ Collection. Coin appears in my gallery: [LINK].

Dattari's rubbing (c. 1901-1913, from the 2007 edition of Savio):

HISTORICAL CONTEXT:

The usual perspective seems to be that most of the reverse types on Alexandrian coinage were "stock images" and didn't particularly reflect current events or political goals. Given the historical circumstances, though, I wonder if the imagery doesn't hold some significance in this case.

Elpis was the Greek equivalent of the Roman Spes, or "Hope." From the Numiswiki: "Spes was the Roman personification of Hope (the Greek equivalent was Elpis). According the Hesiod's famous story, Elpis was the last to escape the Pandora's box..."

This was her first appearance on an Alexandrian coin of Severus Alexander. Importantly, it was minted alongside a matching Tetradrachm of his mother, Julia Mamaea (see RPC VI 10376 [LINK]).

Dattari's rubbing of his Julia Mamaea Year 7 Elpis Tetradrachm (image from RPC, not my coin):

The significance of Mamaea's coin is that she had been entirely absent from Alexandrian coinage in Year 6. Instead, during Year 6, Severus Alexander's wife Orbiana had taken Mamaea's place on the Alexandrian coinage as the only royal lady depicted on the coinage. (Orbiana and Mamaea had overlapped in Year 5 only.) Now, in Year 7, Orbiana disappears and Mamaea takes back her place as the sole regnal family member depicted.

Those who know Severan history, and the fate of Orbiana, will recognize the connection:

In Year 7 (227 CE), Orbiana was accused of conspiring to overthrow Severus Alexander and install her father, Seius Sallustius, as Emperor. Orbiana was exiled to Libya -- her fate uncertain. (Her father was killed.)

Unrelated, but that same year, there was great turmoil in Rome, including rioting and the murder of Ulpian, a prefect and close Severan advisor. (Murdered in the presence of Alexander and Mamaea.) For whatever reason, Severus Alexander was reportedly politically unable to openly punish the person responsible for the uprising -- Epagathus. Instead, Epagathaus was sent to Egypt purportedly to rule as Governor. He was then (how much later?) removed to Crete and finally executed.

The Orbiana events clearly happened in time for the Alexandrian mint to respond and replace her on the coinage with Mamaea. I don't know if the Ulpian-Epagathus events could've happened early enough in the year to contribute to the climate.

Given all the Year 7 turmoil, though, and its relation to N. Africa and Egypt, it makes sense that Severus Alexander and Julia Mamaea would want to strike coinage that sent a message of "Hope" for a better future!

Biblio:
Contemporary Accounts: Historia Augusta, Sev. Alex. 1 [LINK]; Cassius Dio, Roman History, Book 80 [LINK]; Herodian's History of the Roman Empire, Book 5 [LINK] and 6 [LINK].
See also: Matthies, Sandra (2014), Die Ikonographie alexandrinischer Münzbilder in der Epoche der severischen Kaiser (193-235 n. Chr.) [LINK] [especially p. 119-121] on the Year 10 Elpis coinage and its possible relation to current events and war in Persia.
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Egypt, Alexandria: Only known Severus Alexander Year 7 Elpis Tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 01:10:45 pm »
Curtis,

I pictured the DS image in my new book, but I would like to replace it with your picture, as I have replaced the othe DS specimens with the Naville auction pictures.

The year 7 Severus Alexander obverse type with a cuirassed bust is very interesting. The Roman style tetradrachms of year 7 never had this obverse type, which continued on at the Aexandria mint for a few years

Iwaniw

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 02:56:38 pm »
Sounds like a great project! I'd be very interested to hear about the book. (Has it been published, or forthcoming?)

For the past couple years I have looked for Figari & Mosconi's (2017) book with photos of 2,000 Dattari coins (all from before the Naville group), but never found a copy. It seems like a great opportunity for an update with all the new photographs available now!

I would of course be thrilled for you to use the photo in your book, but that was CNG's auction photo. CNG does have a policy of allowing their photos to be re-used in publications (from their FAQ, [LINK]). But if you prefer not to use theirs, let me know, and I can take a photograph of my own and send it (it may not be as good!).

I have two more Dattari's that did NOT pass through Naville (plus 3 or 4 from Naville):

1. Hadrian Drachm (DS Suppl. 12, No. 138). It came from JP Righetti's recent collection of Alexandrian, sold at Nomos Auction 24, Lot 299 (they were unaware that it was Dattari). Righetti bought it from Heritage in 2019 (Auction 231947 [22 Nov 2019], Lot 63128, also without the provenance). Before that I have no idea, but it wasn't from Naville. RPC Online is using the Nomos 24 photo, but again, I could send a photo of my own if that would be useful: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/3/6058 [specimen 3 & RPC Online "digital plate coin"].

Dattari rubbing, Photo by Nomos

2. Antoninus Pius Tetradrachm (DS Suppl. pl 14, No. 17). It came from the Robert Grover Collection/Art Institute of Chicago, sold in Gemini XIII (2017), Lot 460 (part), but was never photographed. There were a lot of groups like that. The CoinTalk user "zumbly" (who runs Minotaur Coins, and sold me the coin) purchased and photographed at least 1 or 2 groups. Some of the Tetradrachms in this photo are ex-Dattari (mine is top center): https://www.cointalk.com/posts/2733488/. I don't think Zumbly's on CoinTalk anymore but I think he'd be interested to help; let me know and I can try to help you get in touch.

Dattari rubbing & Photo by Zumbly/Minotaur Coins

These two are my photographs (DS 4371 & 9612), but they were from Naville, so I expect you've got access to better photos of them already (and I have one more ex-Naville, but haven't photographed it myself):

Photos by Curtis Jackson-Jacobs (me)

“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 05:17:32 pm »
I don’t just collect ancient coins for their imagery but also for the stories that they tell. You draw a very interesting and persuasive parallel between the only appearance of Elpis, the Greek personification of Hope (or the hope for better times ahead), on both the tetradrachms of Severus Alexander and Julia Mamaea at a politically turbulent time. I don’t see the connection as too far-fetched.

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 03:00:17 pm »
Curtis,

My book covers the varieties of the period from Elagabalus to Domitius Domitianus. The catalogue has been done and is about 715 pages and I am just finishing the support references, reverse types, obverse types and inscription parts which will add another 100 to 200 pages. I am hoping to get it printed in book form this year.

I can use cng images and a lot have been added, including some of my collection plus other private collections.

Iwaniw

All coins are guaranteed for eternity