Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What Did They Do To This? Gaming or Time-Telling Device?  (Read 179 times)

Offline Pete B

• Consul
What Did They Do To This? Gaming or Time-Telling Device?
« on: January 26, 2024, 04:35:17 pm »
Hello Everyone! Hoping that this finds you well... I thought that this was a Hadrian Drachm of Alexandria, or somesuch coin, altered into what you see here. The design appears to be symmetrical, though they are of opposing images. The obverse rim is incised, as if it were to sit atop a jar or bottle, or was inset into something. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: What Did They Do To This? Gaming or Time-Telling Device?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 06:51:05 am »
Hi,
How much does it weigh? I'm guessing about 27 grammes. I think it is a Byzantine one ounce commercial weight. I think I can see a Gamma A pattern punched in dots

Here's a two ounce of mine punched Gamma B.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 07:13:24 am »
Here's a similar Byzantine coin weight, marked N E for five nomisma or solidi. There are some Byzantine weights that have the weight in both solidi and ounces, with 6 solid equating to one ounce.

Offline Pete B

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 11:15:18 am »
Thank You, Mauseus! Yup-there's the "A" to the right. Finding-out what this is I now see is above my pay grade, so to speak. I very much appreciate the ID! So, I'm guessing that it was part of a nesting weight set?

Offline Basil

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 12:18:34 pm »
Hello everyone,
This is a very common Byzantine trade weight of one ounce. Unfortunately, the condition is not particularly good.
Basil

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 07:27:37 pm »
For a nested set of this type see

"Haim Gitler and Pierre Charrey, A Rare Set of Eight Late Roman-Early Byzantine Brass Weights from Syria-Palestine, in C. Schinzel (ed.), Festschrift für Benedikt Zäch zum 60, Swiss Numismatic Studies 5, Winterthur..."

which is available as a pdf on the academia.edu site (you have to sign up as a member).

For context see (on this board):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=131075.msg783409#msg783409

Ross G.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity