Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vima Takto bronze coin, my best coin.  (Read 1966 times)

Remigius

Vima Takto bronze coin, my best coin.
« on: April 05, 2012, 09:29:58 am »
This is my best coin, I can only hope it is genuine.

But the looks are terrific, very sharp, I can even read the lines Soter Mega in it's Greek spelling, and my greek is not good.

As a new ' collector'  by accident (due to where I work now) I hope this will be my best memory/souvenir and collection wise the glacing on the pie.

What do you think?

Offline mike1987

• Praetorian
Re: Vima Takto bronze coin, my best coin.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:50:10 am »
Really nice portret! Where you diggings for the army in Afghanistan?
Nice to find somethig like that unexpected.

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 11:12:53 am »
I don't believe these are faked!

They are fairly common in poor to medium condition, but your's is in exceptional condition!

Check out this site to learn more;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vima_Takto

Also check the two external links at the bottom of the page :)

~Steve

Offline ego sum malum

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 04:10:02 pm »
...... I can even read the lines Soter Mega in it's Greek spelling, and my greek is not good.

I think that "Soter Megas" means "Nameless King" and was called that because until recently nobody knew who this was. I wouldn't think that it would be something that would be on the coin. I could be wrong though. I have 7 of these myself in varying conditions. I can't look at them right at the moment though. I'm going back to Afghanistan right now, so i'll check out some more of them when i arrive (Probably buys some too).

Offline Xerxes King of Kings

• Consul
  • I am kind...
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 08:21:11 pm »
"Soter Megas" translates as Great Saviour (or literally 'Saviour Great') 

Offline ego sum malum

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 04:38:48 am »
    Thank you. I've learned something here today. Sorry for providing incorrect information. I'll have to use more restraint in the future.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity