Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rare?  (Read 3957 times)

Offline mursik

• Consul
Rare?
« on: July 15, 2011, 07:31:33 am »
This coin rare?

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Re: Rare?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 07:50:09 am »
Size and weight please.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 08:16:35 am »
Struck at Treveri (Trier) 320-321.  I don't have RIC number handy but I think it is only rated scarce.  That said, one sees far fewer VIRTVS EXERCIT with trophy than the more usual ones with the VOT XX banner.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 11:24:10 am »
Nice detail on the trophy and from my searches it is a scarce coin, very nice example and thank you for sharing it with us.

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 06:39:36 am »
So this is a rare coin? R3 - R4 ?

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 12:09:00 pm »
I have asked questions about this before. Scarce means fewer than a common coin but more of them than a coin rated rare. It is a limbo coin. Easyer to get than a rare coin if that makes any sense.
David V McCallum II

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 12:17:10 pm »
I have asked questions about this before. Scarce means fewer than a common coin but more of them than a coin rated rare. It is a limbo coin. Easyer to get than a rare coin if that makes any sense.

I've developed my own thinking on this as follows

I consider scarce to mean a coin that, if you search for it for a year, you will find one or more at a reasonable price, ie at its generally accepted market value (though you may not buy it).

And rare means a coin that you have a low chance of finding at a reasonable price, ie at its generally accepted market value, even if you search for a year. You might see one or two examples in a year, but not at a reasonable price.

And extremely rare means you might wait a decade to find a single example of the type and still not be able to buy it at what you consider to be it's market value.

Common means a coin type you can find today or within a few weeks if you look in all the usual places.

Very common means a coin you can find multiple examples at retail at any one time.

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 12:29:54 pm »
Thank you  for your expanded explination. I have alot of scarce coins and quite a few rare coins but most of my rare coins are due to RIC shot commings. For example one of my scarce coins is Antoninus Pius RIC 194 only 7 found in the Devina hourd. For a hourd with 82000 pices of sliver only 7 were of my coin, and this in not a rare coin. So as you say a scarce coin you might have to look for and pay retail but you can get one a rare coin not rated rare by RIC but a real rare coin you may not even be able to find if you look for a year and when it comes up be ready to spend some mony. I have a coin of Julia Maesa RIC 263 on this page rated scarce but Forvm has one for sale in better shape than mine but 250 bucks. I got mine in a kilo mix that had two silver and one gold pice and that was 10 years ago. Today every thing has had a metal detector pass over it and all the silver and gold has been removed. Plus you get alot of slugs. I do not buy kilo weight anymore. I would rather pick each pice on its own, and not end up with 3/4 Constantine area coins. Very nice coin for a Constantine area coin. This one is rated R4 by RIC but I don't know if I can depend on it or not. RIC VII 92 Cyzicus mint.
David V McCallum II

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 03:17:30 pm »
Then how can we explain that these rare coins are cheap as 40-90 bucks? After all, their only 5-7 copies and is no longer there?

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 03:39:33 pm »
Demand and supply determines price, not rarity. For many 'extremely rare' coins there is practically no supply but also no demand. That goes for many late Romans that are very rare as type variant, but common as type.
Regards
Gert

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 04:38:14 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen! Thank you all for your very interesting opinions on this coin. I attribute it to the rarity of passing 3 to 4. For 2 years I have it on the European auctions are not met. :)

Here is a link to such a coin that was sold at a French auction:

http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?search=similar%3A355013&view_mode=1#0

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 11:44:43 pm »
RIC table

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 02:11:34 am »
Sorry for my misunderstanding, but I can not quite figure out in this table are: where does the "P.S." Mint -Mark?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 11:31:29 am »
There is no PS mint mark.  It is P for 1st (prima) officina or S for 2nd (secunda) officina in two colums, which is the first letter of the mintmarks. The mint mark is at the top of the scan - star reverse left, pellet PTR (1st officina) or STR (second officina) in the exergue

The scan does not appear, however, to be the correct reference for your coin. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 11:40:51 am »
The scan does not appear, however, to be the correct reference for your coin. 

That is, this table for my coins are not suitable? And what is like? I thought my coin correspond to the topmost entry in this table.

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 11:54:43 am »
I thought my coin correspond to the topmost entry in this table.

No, your coin has a T in the left field and an F in the right field
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 12:07:15 pm »
Naturally! Hence, this table does not apply to my coin. Why did he put it there? ::)

Offline jmuona

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 01:37:34 pm »
Dear Mursik,
perhaps he made a mistake trying to answer you?
I think you are a bit too excited by the rarity of a particular coin. As was stated before, demand determines prices, but rarity is something else. If you are worried about prices, I think you should forget about it. Very few people are going to pay anything for an obscure late Roman coin. I will give you an example. There are a few Otho denarii known in fewer examples than Brutus denarius celebrating Caesar´s murder. No one actually cares, an Otho is an Otho to most collectrors, the Brutus is a legendary coin. In this scenario a coin of your type is less than nothing. BUT, these comparisons make little sense, unless you are in it for the money. All Ancient coins are great, some nicer than others, some rarer than others, but all tell a part of a story that interests us all. Your coin is nice, RIC rarity numbers have no relevance in that.
Jyrki Muona

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 02:36:29 pm »
Dear Jyrki Muona. I just wondered to what the value of the rarity of this coin relates to the RIC's all. And I learned not to sell the coin, but simply the collection of interest. Specifically, I am a regular collector of fine, rather than the seller of coins. And the rarity of the coins I needed for my research interest. And I am not excited, but just interested. ;)

By the way, I found this coin in the archive photos of this forum:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=164&pos=13

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 10:38:48 pm »
I switched the table to what I think is the correct one. Sorry about that.

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 04:52:56 am »
In my opinion it is 279 helmeted and cuirassed bust (D2) PTR in ex T - F in fields.

Frans

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 08:40:28 am »
I agree, though the engraver seems to have blundered the P a bit
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 06:07:37 am »
 Dear Frans Diederik, Dear Ladies and Gentlemen! I guess the coin in the photo is not exactly clear, but in reality it can be seen clearly committed: there at the bottom of the letter "S", so there is still "STP".

PTR has always been a point of law:

http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?search=VIRTVS+-+EXERCIT%2F+T%7CF%2F%2F+PTR.&view_mode=1&sort=&c=&a=&l=#0

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 02:16:20 pm »
so there is still "STP".
So the matter is now reduced to a missing sidebar of the 'R' ; still Trier 279, but a lot rarer according to RIC (R4).

Frans

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 02:34:17 pm »
I think more important to the price than the rarity of the specific issue is that it is a less common reverse type (compared to a Fel Temp or Campgate, for example).  Still, it isn't an expensive coin.   
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity