Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient coins in 1975 film "The Man Who Would Be King"  (Read 15208 times)

Offline WilliamBoyd

• Consul
  • Maximinus
    • BrianRxm
Ancient coins in 1975 film "The Man Who Would Be King"
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:06:53 am »
A pair of ancient coins appear in the 1975 film "The Man Who Would Be King" which stars
Sean Connery and Michael Caine as two former British soldiers who venture into
1880's Afghanistan to find a lost kingdom and appropriate a treasure.

The locals come to believe that Sean's character is a descendant of Alexander the Great
and appoint him their king.

It is based on the famous story by Rudyard Kipling and was filmed mostly in Morocco.

TOP IMAGE
Sean Connery is in a treasure room and holds up a coin.

BOTTOM IMAGE
The center coin appears to be an Alexander the Great tetradrachm,
but larger than a real one would be, obviously a film prop.

There is the reverse of a Roman appearing coin in the lower right of the picture.
It is upside down but I can make out "COS" and "S C", along with some wavy lines.

I identified it as a large Lucius Verus tourist fake from Dr. Ilya Prokopov's fake ancient coins page.

Album Link

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and Coins on Television

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Dr. Ilya Prokopov's fake ancient coin was a movie star
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 12:17:56 am »
Ha!  i froze the picture in that exact same spot the last time my wife and i watched this movie (just a few months ago in fact). what a terrific film, with both Connery and Caine at their peaks.

i couldn't tell you anything about the tourist fake of Lucius Verus (although it looks to be the same piece), but i have often thought of having a collection of fake prop coins from movies, etc. there are definitely a lot of them out there, some so bad that you have to wonder "why didn't they just use a handful of real coins? they're certainly cheap enough."
but what i would really like to find is the Hekate amulet which is used in the scenes of young Caligula from 'I Clavdivs'.  anyone know where it is?   ;)

~ Peter

Offline Reid Goldsborough

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Coins
Re: Dr. Ilya Prokopov's fake ancient coin was a movie star
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:12:46 pm »
The coin in the center of the frame is a copy of a Lysimachos tetradrachm, Lysimachos being one of Alexander the Great's successors. It depicts on the obverse a deified portrait of Alexander the Great wearing a Horn of Ammon  -- a ram's horn that's symbolic of Zeus, the mythology at the time being that Alexander was the son of Zeus Ammon.

I agree that it's an oversize film prop piece, maybe even made specifically for this film. It has a golden hue, but this is probably just the orange cast of the film. It's probably made of some white metal -- pewter or even aluminum. I also agree it would be cool to have one of these film prop copies, ridiculous though they might look to us sophisticated collectors, for the novelty of it.
oldestcoins.reidgold.com
athenianowlcoins.reidgold.com
alexanderthegreatcoins.reidgold.com
medusacoins.reidgold.com
thracecoins.reidgold.com

Offline WilliamBoyd

• Consul
  • Maximinus
    • BrianRxm
Re: Fake/fantasy ancient coin was a movie star
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 07:19:59 pm »
Got my own copy of this fake.

Lucius Verus Chariot Sestertius - Fake/fantasy

Obverse:
Laureate head right
L VERVS AVG ARM PARTH MAX IPP VIIII

Reverse:
Man driving chariot with four horses
Exergue: COS II / S C

Metal: Bronze
Diameter: 35mm
Weight: 18.10gm

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 06:19:38 pm »
Great movie, even better cast.  By Jove is that Segunda!  ;D
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline Reid Goldsborough

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Coins
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 10:29:45 am »
The most visible coin isn't an Alexander but a Lysimachos. It appears to be a movie-prop piece, a coin deliberately made (cast) in a pewter (tin) alloy for use in Hollywood (which look much like tourist fakes). This one does appear as well to use as its host coin a Bulgarian fake. We know it's an attempt to portray a Lysimachos tetradrachm because of the large horn on the head of the obverse subject, which is a deified image of Alexander the Great. Alexander wearing this horn of Ammon (Zeus) was the obverse device not only on the tetradrachms of Lysimachos but also on many of the coins of rulers who came after him. These coins like Alexanders were issued in many lifetime and posthumous varieties for many years.
oldestcoins.reidgold.com
athenianowlcoins.reidgold.com
alexanderthegreatcoins.reidgold.com
medusacoins.reidgold.com
thracecoins.reidgold.com

Offline WilliamBoyd

• Consul
  • Maximinus
    • BrianRxm
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 11:26:15 am »
I have seen similar "ancient" coins in other films.

I guess that they appear well on the screen.

Added September 10, 2012:

There is a gold-plated version of the Lucius Verus fantasy coin in the 1988 film
"The Last Temptation of Christ".

All coins are guaranteed for eternity