Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unlisted Byzantine coins  (Read 42438 times)

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Re: New Legend on a solidus of Constantine VI with Irene
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 01:18:18 pm »

Reverse:  :C: :Greek_Omicron: :N: :S: :Tcurl: :Greek_Lambda: :N: :Greek_Omicron: :S:    :C: '  :Greek_Gamma: '  :N: :Greek_Omicron: :S:

meaning: Constantine "Caesar" our King  (Constantinos Caesar Basileus Noster), Note that the single  :Greek_Gamma: in the legend is a spelling error and should be :B:

Hi byzcoll,

Could one not also read the Γ• as D•  (for Dominus), or is there a compelling reason to prefer  :B:?

Bill R

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
Re: Unlisted Byzantine coins
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 03:01:43 pm »
Hi Bill,

the main reason to prefer b is that it is always b on related dies.

Actually the coin is struck from die version C2.12 in Füegs great work on the corpus of nomismata of the time. Interestingly, only one die of this version is known from two specimens (British Museum and an NAC auction in 1997) and Füeg reads the letter as a b, although it is apparantly a  :Greek_Gamma: (or maybe even a tilted :Greek_Lambda: or  :Greek_Delta:?). This probably has escaped Füeg's attention, may be because the available photos were too small.

Furthermore on other dies there is usually a  :Greek_Delta: in the place of  :N: :Greek_Omicron: :S: . The  :Greek_Delta: stands for Despotes. Thus Füeg suggests that the die could  be read  :Greek_Delta: :Greek_Omicron: :S: but he puts a questionmark on that because the context does not make sense. I think basileus noster can be reasonable. If  :Greek_Gamma: is a tilted  :Greek_Lambda: which is used for  :Greek_Alpha: in these inscriptions it could even be augustus noster, but that is also an unusual title. (And  :Greek_Gamma: standing for  :Greek_Delta: would make it despotes noster.)

These inscriptions surely can be tough to interprete.

The coin above seems to be the third specimen from that reverse die.

byzcoll

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
Unpublished variety of a histamenon of Alexius I - similar Sear 1893
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 06:10:23 pm »
This is an apparently unpublished and unique variety of a silver histamenon of Alexius I, Constantinople mint. Sold by FORVM.

It resembles the type Sear 1893, but Alexius is holding a scepter with three cross bars at the top instead of a scepter with a star on top.

byzcoll

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
A new unpublished variety of Sear 1893 - histamenon of Alexius I
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 06:20:20 pm »
This fall two sepcimens of a new variety of a silver histamenon of Alexius I, Constantinople mint, have been offered at auction in Munich, Germany.

They are similar to the type Sear 1893, but the emperor holds a scepter in the shape of a simple cross instead of a sceptre with a star on top.

byzcoll

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
An unpublished type of histamena of Alexius I with unique iconography
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 06:40:49 pm »
A few specimens of this (still) unpublished histamena of Alexius I have appeared on the market over a period of at least 12 years.

They have been recorded as electrum as well as silver coins. I could not find a note on the diameter, but the compact appearance would argue for the mint of Thessalonica.

On the obverse Christ is seated on a throne without a back. He is flanked by two crescents and the inscription :overlineIC:  -  :overlineXC:  

On the reverse the emperor holding an akakia and a plain globe is blessed by a manus dei. Alexius is flanked by two stars. The legend reads

:plus: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Lambda:       :Greek_Chi: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_omega_small:     :Greek_Delta: :Greek_epsilon: :C: :Greek_Pi: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Tau: :S:

Found on acsearch.

byzcoll

Offline Orthodoxcoins

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • CREDENDO VIDIS !
    • http://www.orthodoxcoins.com/
Re: A new unpublished variety of Sear 1893 - histamenon of Alexius I
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 03:22:36 pm »
This fall two sepcimens of a new variety of a silver histamenon of Alexius I, Constantinople mint, have been offered at auction in Munich, Germany.

They are similar to the type Sear 1893, but the emperor holds a scepter in the shape of a simple cross instead of a sceptre with a star on top.

byzcoll

Dear byzcoll,
this Alexius I coin type has been published by Mr. Bendall :

Bendall, Simon. Two Rare Byzantine Coins of the Comnenan Dynasty. Numismatic Circular, October 2001

The type is included in
Catalogue of the Late Byzantine coins, vol. I (October 2011) , with number 1.1.2.
http://www.orthodoxcoins.com
Catalogue of the Late Byzantine Coins

Offline Orthodoxcoins

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • CREDENDO VIDIS !
Re: An unpublished type of histamena of Alexius I with unique iconography
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 03:54:59 pm »
A few specimens of this (still) unpublished histamena of Alexius I have appeared on the market over a period of at least 12 years.

They have been recorded as electrum as well as silver coins. I could not find a note on the diameter, but the compact appearance would argue for the mint of Thessalonica.

On the obverse Christ is seated on a throne without a back. He is flanked by two crescents and the inscription :overlineIC:  -  :overlineXC:  

On the reverse the emperor holding an akakia and a plain globe is blessed by a manus dei. Alexius is flanked by two stars. The legend reads

:plus: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Lambda:       :Greek_Chi: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_omega_small:     :Greek_Delta: :Greek_epsilon: :C: :Greek_Pi: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Tau: :S:

Found on acsearch.

byzcoll

This new histamenin also have been noted by Bendall and now is included in
Catalogue of the Byzantine Coins, vol. I, under number 1.1.4.

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2011, 04:42:01 pm »
Thanks for the information. I guess I need to order a copy of your book!  :)

byzcoll

Offline Orthodoxcoins

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • CREDENDO VIDIS !
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2011, 04:50:52 pm »
 :) :) :)
I believe it's a good Christmas present :))))

Offline Aktina

• Praetorian
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2012, 12:55:01 pm »
Quote from: Obryzum on May 25, 2011, 08:44:52 pm
I found another one of these odd Leo VI folles with the AC in the left field.  Antvwala found the first one and posted it in this thread in 2008:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=50101.0

Then I found a die match in October 2009 and posted it in the same thread.  This week I found a third coin.  All three were struck with the same dies, which leads me to believe that there was probably only one die.  Maybe a special issue for the coronation of Constantine VII (AC= Alexander and Constantine as the joint emperors???).

AC stands for:  :Greek_Alpha:  :Greek_Upsilon: :Greek_Tau: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Tau: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Omicron: :C:

Which means: Emperor

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 06:04:05 pm »
I don't recall AC being used to abbreviate Autokrator.  It doesn't seem likely.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2012, 05:11:37 pm »
Would C have been a capital sigma at this period? If so, it would be AS.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Aktina

• Praetorian
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 09:24:13 pm »
Not correct.

Many ortodox icons still use the C during this period.

Mikka

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2016, 03:28:49 am »
Hello!

It's my first post, so , maybe I'm wrong...
I have this coin in my collection and I have a problem: looks like Sear 805 but with RY 2. In Sear are listed only starting with third RY.
Can you help me?
Thank you.

Offline isauria7

• Auxiliary
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2016, 12:53:09 pm »
Again, as in a previous post of mine some days ago, I present a coin which of course does not officially exist.
Barbaric hybrid of Anastasius follis from Antioch (presumably...) with a reverse resembling Iustinianus follis.

tk

I believe this to be an example of a coinage struck in Antioch during the Persian occupation of the city 540-542.  My initial findings were published in the Journal of the Oriental Numismatic Society (JONS) no. 207 (2011) and there was a follow up article in JONS 216 (2013).

Offline Fatih K

• Praetorian
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2016, 11:12:11 am »
Here is one

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2016, 04:56:39 pm »
Here is one

Please identify and describe the coin.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2018, 04:21:07 am »
Okay something new for the unlisted board. I have never seen an imitation like it before.
 It is  in a very crude style. I recently won it at auction. It looks like it is from a much earlier time period but in hand it feels like a very flat tetarteron.

Manuel I. Komnenos, 1143-1180 AE-Tetarteron lokaler Beischlag Vs.: Kaiser steht mit Krone, Langkreuz und Kreuzglobus v. v., Rs.: Kreuzmonogramm wohl unpubliziert; vgl. Sear 1979; DOC 22. 2.57 g. RR breit, schwarze Patina, ss-vz

Bellow it is  is an official example. SBCV-1979
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Arslan

• Consul
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2019, 04:51:31 pm »
beautiful,

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2020, 06:47:15 pm »
I have the coin of Theodosius I (379-395) on the castle there is a cross. In my coin there is a β. I have not seen any other such plan

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2020, 05:50:59 pm »
Perhaps a staurogram (a rho-headed cross) not a beta?

Bill R.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2020, 07:55:08 pm »
I agree with Bill, nice find btw.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Filipp P

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2020, 11:05:01 am »
Hello dear collectors!I wont to show my coin,according to the Sear 777 catalog,but i just didnt find any auctions or fotos anywhere!I ask you to express your opinion,sort by rarity and,if possible by price.Thanks

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2020, 11:34:59 pm »
Hello Flip

welcome!
We do not discuss prices.
not sure about your coin.

CW

Filipp P

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2020, 01:11:37 am »
Hello Flip

welcome!
We do not discuss prices.
not sure about your coin.

CW

Thanks for your opinion!But i am 100% sure of authenticity!!!There is such a copy in the Hermitage # 160
Does anyone have such a coin?
With respect

All coins are guaranteed for eternity