Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage

Collector's card

(1/3) > >>

Petros:
I am looking for inspiration for describing my Greek coins on cards that I will place in pockets along with the coins. I am curious how you describe your coins.

Tracy Aiello:
Petros,

My descriptions are, well, pretty uninspiring. On my Larissian coins, for example, I note the region and the city (Thessaly, Larissa), the metal, denomination, minting date, weight, diameter, die axis, a brief description of the obverse and reverse, and then a few references.

If I purchase a coin that comes with a dealer tag or former dealer/owner tags, then I always keep those with the coin.

All the best,

Tracy

Petros:
Tracy,

My descriptions are similar to yours, but sometimes they have long descriptions of the obverse and reverse. I wonder if this is too detailed and lengthy. For now, I have described a few coins as a trial; it looks like this (the description is in my native language):

Tracy Aiello:
Petros,

I tend to go overboard on my gallery descriptions here on Forum, so even on a coin tag for me it’s “the more the merrier” with detail and length.

I should note that when I buy a coin from Joe here at Forum I use his coin tag without adding anything or creating my own. His tags are second to none in terms of everything: description, attributions, etc.

I really like the look of your write-ups. I have to admit that I’m jealous of your handwriting. Mine looks like that of a drunken six year old.

All the best,

Tracy

Petros:
Tracy,

I'm glad you like my descriptions, although I'm not satisfied with them myself. I think my handwriting is ugly. I need to work on my calligraphy.

Could you show what Joe's coin tag looks like?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version