Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New Pick Up - Philip II Tetradrachm already in Fake Coin Reports  (Read 435 times)

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
Hello everyone, I picked this coin up already knowing and seller stating that this is forgery/replica. But I thought it would be an affordable way to display a tetradrachm in my classroom. It is (I believe) a well made piece and is actually better in hand. I'm not a collector of Greek coinage, but this would have fooled me. I found what I believe is a coin from the same die online and they state that the dies are hand cut and struck. To be honest, it does not look cast - details are strong, no apparent seem on the edge, flans are different. Another peculiarity, this die has been around since 1962? Would like opinions on the  coin -  ???

Pic 1 - coin fake coin reports
Pic 2,3,4 - my coin (same as in reports)
Pic 5 -edge of my coin
Pic 4 - coin being offered as a novelty stuck coin, which I believe is the same

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: New Pick Up - Philip II Tetradrachm already in Fake Coin Reports
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 11:55:42 am »
Very nice.  A great way to share in the classroom without using the real thing.

I just bought a coin from the same maker.  Hand cut dies and struck in silver.  I'd never be able to afford the real one.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=174008

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 12:20:42 pm »

Yes, the coin #4 is same with reproducers logo removed.

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 01:13:36 pm »
Thanks Jay I thought so too. In the  fake coin report it says that it's a cast, should we change that?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 03:48:58 pm »
Someone probably just found it listed as a replica and assumed it was cast.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity